Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte E Gallagher G / 129220

Pat Twomey

Probably a simple question but could anyone tell me what he G in this soldiers number stands for?

Pte Edward Gallagher G/129220 45th Bn. Royal Fusiliers formarly of the South Lancashire Regiment

Thanks

Pat

G= General Service - enlistment for three years or the duration of the war.

Regards

Mel

My understanding is that only Southern (Home Counties) men were given a regimental number commencing with a G? Royal Fusiliers was a London based unit.

It's a bit confusing because when he volunteered for the 45th Bt Royal Fusiliers in early April 1919 the war had been over for nearly three months. In order to enlist in the RF he was demobilised from the S Lancashire Regiment to class 'z' and then immediately re-enlisted in the RF and was given the G/129220 number. I presumed the enlistment time was for the duration of the North Russian adventure (ended in October 1919) but unfortunately he was KIA on August 10 - I would be interested if anyone has information on any of the soldiers who returned and how long it took for their demobilisation.

Thanks Pat

Pat

My Grandfather served with The Royal Sussex in North Russia in 1918 and 1919. According to his diary he finaly returned to camp in England on 28th August 1919. His certificate of demobilization and transfer to the reserve is dated 30th Sept 1919. So from return to demob was aprox a month.

Cheers Ian

My understanding is that only Southern (Home Counties) men were given a regimental number commencing with a G? Royal Fusiliers was a London based unit.

Its a bit more complicated than that: 'Home Counties' is a misnomer twice over. Sussex is not a Home County as it is not, and never was, contiguous with London. However, R SX used G/ prefix.

Secondly, the regiments who used prefixes were in fact the old 'No. 10 Grouped District' plus the Royal Fusiliers. The prefixes in general are post- Boer War and pre- Great War , although G/ was a 1914 addition. I have narrowed the introduction of prefixes to c. 1908.