Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 7012 Walter Galloway DLI KIA

Hett65

Pte 7012 Walter Galloway served with the 1st Battalion, DLI in South Africa from April 1900 with the Mounted Light Infantry and was wounded at Villiersdorp. Later served in India until 30.12.1907.

Recalled to colours for 1st WW entering France on 5.1.1915 and died of wounds 10.8.1915 with the 2nd Battalion DLI. Received 1914-15 Star trio for 1st WW.

This man is the great uncle of a friend of mine and he is trying to find out what medals he may have been awarded for South African service. Are there any DLI men out there who have the medals rolls for South Africa for this regiment and battalion, and could check out what he was awarded.

Thanks

John

Hi

7012 Pte Walter Galloway, served with 1/DLI in SA awarded QSA Medal with 2 clasps 1901 and 1902 not entitled to KSA.

Not on roll for Mounted Infantry Company which was supplied by 2/DLI.

Copy of roll attached -

This is from my latest book.

"Two days later, Lieutenant G Weyman arrived from the base with a draft sixty five NCO’s and men, among them was 7012, Private, Walter Galloway from Cassop Colliery. He had already seen eight years service with 1/Durham LI in South Africa and India, having enlisted in December 1899 at the age of eighteen and when he was discharged in 1908, he completed his Class A Reserve Service and then remained on Class D of the reserve and extended his service in December 1911 for a further four years. He attended annual musketry camps to keep his proficiency pay as a marksman and when war was declared he had rejoined the Regimental Depot in Newcastle on 5 August, but had not been included in the early drafts to the second battalion. In September he had spent a week absent without leave, which probably meant he missed the drafts that left the Depot at the end of September".

I found his documents on ancestry and I have just tried to find them again and they are not there. They showed he was AWOL a couple of times before Jan 1915. There is also a letter regarding his medals which were sent to his father in Cassop

He has a letter published in the "Durham Chronicle" end of Jan beginning of Feb 1915 which I have attached but its not too good

Hope this helps.

South Africa Roll

post-27843-1217950516.jpg

post-27843-1217950612.jpg

His records are still there and run to 49 pages.

He died from his wounds in No.10 C.C.S.

Regards Kevin

Kev

just went back and they are there this time, I swear I must be going mad. They must be one with the most pages I have seen.

regards

John

John

I just put it down to an age thing :D .

I wonder if Walter is one of my relatives? as a branch did live further north around the Durham area.

Regards as always Kevin

Kevin

Just in case you don't know there is a Pte W Galloway 6662 who gets the KSA with clasps 01 -02 in the 1/DLI KSA roll but thats all I know about him.

regards

John

John

Cheers for that, are you trying to make more work for me :D , on the famliy tree side another relative is carrying out that research, so i will pass that snippet on to him and see if it fit's in any where.

Regards as always Kevin

John & Kevin

Thanks for the above excellent information which I will forward on. For the information of John, I will contact my friend and ask if he has any photographs of Galloway for your current book.

John