Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner David McDonald 307720

Caledonian

During a search of my family tree I came across what looks like my great grandfather's demob papers. Its an Army Form Z. 21.

He was Gunner David McDonald, known as Dyte. His unit and regiment is shown as B. Bty 21st R.B. Royal Garrison Artillery which he enlisted in on 6th October 1915. It states that he served overseas on active service but doesn't say where. No medals are recorded but as a child I remember he had a few. He was born in 1897 and discharged at Dover on 4th March 1919. I have a copy of the papers should anyone be interested in it.

I am interested to know about his service record, ie. where he served etc, and I guess there must be someone who is a relative of one of his comrades. I'd love to hear from anyone who can glean any information about him. I appreciate that some records were destroyed in WW2 and his may be among those, because I have tried in vain to trace him on other sites. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Who knows there might be a photo of him kicking around.

I wait patiently for any responses.

Bob Ross

Bob

As a starter here's his Medal Index Card, shows entitlement to the British War & Victory Medals, also that he started off (overseas) in the Royal Field Artillery.

Steve

His unit and regiment is shown as B. Bty 21st R.B. Royal Garrison Artillery

Bob

Are you certain his unit is 21st R.B. RGA and not 2/1st H.B. RGA? His numbers are from the blocks allocated to the following Territorial Force Artillery units.......

650001-655000 257 BDE, RFA TF/ 1/1 LOWLAND BETWEEN 11 MAY 16-3 JUN 16

650001-655000 325 BDE, RFA TF/ 2/LOWLAND

307001-308000 2/1 EDINBURGH HVY BY, RGA/ LOWLAND DIV

307001-308000 CITY OF EDINBURGH HVY BY, RGA LOWLAND DIV

Hope this helps a little and I'm sure an Artillery expert will be along soon.

Steve

quote name='SteveE' date='Aug 4 2008, 11:33 PM' post='976171']

Bob

Are you certain his unit is 21st R.B. RGA and not 2/1st H.B. RGA? His numbers are from the blocks allocated to the following Territorial Force Artillery units.......

650001-655000 257 BDE, RFA TF/ 1/1 LOWLAND BETWEEN 11 MAY 16-3 JUN 16

650001-655000 325 BDE, RFA TF/ 2/LOWLAND

307001-308000 2/1 EDINBURGH HVY BY, RGA/ LOWLAND DIV

307001-308000 CITY OF EDINBURGH HVY BY, RGA LOWLAND DIV

Hope this helps a little and I'm sure an Artillery expert will be along soon.

Steve

Thanks for your prompt help. To ensure there is no doubt about whether he was a regular or part of the territorials I have attached a copy of his demob paper here. I know its a bit small but I can send you a larger image. Please just tell me your email and I will forward it on. You may be able to copy and enlarge it from the one supplied. Good luck.

Dyte__s_demob_papers2.jpg

Bob

post-36816-1217947596.jpg

I also have learned that Gunner McDonald might have been in the horsebacked division of the regiment. He apparently told of being in the field one day when his horse was literally blown out from underneath him. He came out relatively unscathed but his horse was killed instantly.

I am quite sure that the letters "R B" refer to "Reserve Brigade" but the number "23" makes no sense as the RGA reserve brigades were numbered 1 through 5. In any case that would not be his overseas unit as reserve brigades handled training of new gunners and in 1919 acted as a temporary unit for men who were being demobilized. Dick Flory

Hi Bob,

I think I would go for "B Battery 2 SARB". Unfortunately this does not help, as I agree with Dick this was probably his last posting in the UK before being demobilised. You may be lucky and a unit is given on the medal roll. These can only be viewed at the Nat. Archives, unless someone has a copy and look him up for you. As the reference number and pages are for the RGA rolls one would have thought that he had already transferred to the RGA before going abroad.

Kevin

As the reference number and pages are for the RGA rolls one would have thought that he had already transferred to the RGA before going abroad.

Medal Index Cards (usually) show the units in the order he served overseas with. This one suggests he first served overseas with the RFA before a subsequent transfer to the RGA. His last unit, in this case RGA, would have been responsible for the administration of his medal entitlement which would be recorded on their rolls. The medals themselves however would have been marked with his first unit (RFA) details.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for your help Kevin, but can you tell me what the SARB in "B Battery 2 SARB" stands for. What is the signifcance of this?

Steve is quite correct, the initial number listing for the RFA is probably the one he went overseas with. Not only that, but he may have gone before the start of 1917 when he was re-issued with the 6 figure number, therefore he may have started with a 4 figure number.

The SARB (Siege Artillery Reserve Brigade) at the time of his demobilisation is probably not that significant to his army career. I would hazard a quess that he was only sent there for demobilisation. As Dick said these were training establishments during the war. I am assuming the first figure is "2", then an old fashioned "S" and what looks like a fancy "A".

I can only suggest you obtain the appropriate page of the medal roll, and also see whether his service records have survived.

Regards Kevin

At the top left hand corner of the demob card there is a handwritten number D12516. What would this number be for? Any suggestions?