Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

pow, Altdamm

mpolin

Hi, I sent off for my fathers details to the Red Cross ( as you dont have to pay now ) i received these details last week, his name was Wilfred Crudge and was in the 20th Middlesex regt, it states that he was captured on the 9th april 1918 at Armentieres, place of interment was camp of Altdamm ( it says coming from the ) ''Krigs. Lazaret ''of Tournay(according to a list dated 24 5 1918 ). I have read some other letters on this forum and i understand that ''Lazaret '' means Hospital, also from the date of capture in april to the end of may on their list, does this mean anything, ( i must seem a bit dim) Also is there anywhere with any details of this camp, i have a photo of him with other soiders and i will try and send it in, thank you for any help you may be able to give me Regards Madeline

Hi

Altdamm according to Mrs Pope-Hennessy’s guide is as follows:

“Small town (pop 7,300) at the mouth of the Oder opposite Stettin. Three Camps; capacity 15,000. Built on a sandy drill ground amidst pine woods. A few naval and civilian prisoners of war here. The centre of a large number of working gangs employed in the neighbourhood on estates, in forestry, factories, hotels etc. 2nd Army Corps.”

Now this entry is referring to the camp as it was in 1916. When your farther got there in mid-1918 the Germans were facing huge POW influxes due to the success of their spring offensives. That is why they probably had to expand the numbers in this camp – i.e where there is no longer just naval and civilian POWs there.

There’s no mention of the Lazaret at Tournay in the Hennessy guide, and your quite right this means a hospital. It was probably behind the lines close in France. Your father was probably wounded when captured and that’s why he ended up there. Have you tried to get the war diaries to find out what happened that day? I’m sure somebody on here will help you out.

It would be interesting to see the picture if you can post it. And don’t worry you don’t sound dim, everyone is learning here…I know I certainly am and I’m sure I sound dim most of the time. :D

Hope this helps

Oli

Hi, I sent off for my fathers details to the Red Cross ( as you dont have to pay now ) i received these details last week, his name was Wilfred Crudge and was in the 20th Middlesex regt, it states that he was captured on the 9th april 1918 at Armentieres, place of interment was camp of Altdamm ( it says coming from the ) ''Krigs. Lazaret ''of Tournay(according to a list dated 24 5 1918 ). I have read some other letters on this forum and i understand that ''Lazaret '' means Hospital, also from the date of capture in april to the end of may on their list, does this mean anything, ( i must seem a bit dim) Also is there anywhere with any details of this camp, i have a photo of him with other soiders and i will try and send it in, thank you for any help you may be able to give me Regards Madeline

Prisoners registered as of October 1918, most will be away from the camp at work camps etc.

French Officers 1

French Men 1 296

Russian Officers 6

Russian Men 16 364

Belgian Men 17

English Officers 1

English Men 1 920

Serbian Men 8

Rumanian Men 8

Italian Men 30

Portuguese Men 1

American Men 1

Civilians 13

Total 19 666

Is the research service free to all or only next-of-kin?

Mark

Is the research service free to all or only next-of-kin?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have recently sent for my grandfathers POW info from the Red Cross and it was free to relatives , it does give its costs onsite per hour for all other enquirers.

Pippa

Madeline,

How did you get hold of this information, was it a letter or Email and to Who??

Many Thanks

Tom

• 3 months later...
Madeline,

How did you get hold of this information, was it a letter or Email and to Who??

Many Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

Sorry i havent replied before now but havent been on the computer for a while. The Red Cross link is www.icrc.org/eng/contact-archives

you will have to fill in as much as you know and it will take a good few months to come back but it is great that this service is free now,

Once again i am sorry to be so late in answering

Madeline

Hi....My grandfather was Thomas Charles Hills - Pte 21st Middlesex.B number 15872. He was captured on the 09.04.1918 at Armentiers. His place of internmnet was Altdamm Camp. coming from Kriegsgefangnen-Lazarett Tournai (according to a list dated 24.5.1918)

My grandfather and your father were prisoners of war together. This is amazing. I am attaching a photo, taken in the camp, of my grandfather and others.

I would very much like to exchange information with you.

regards John Hills

I

Hi again...Have you got a photo of the Altdamm Camp? I have a photo of my grandfather Thomas Charles Hills in the camp.

Regards

John Hills

• 4 months later...

post-17969-1239111950.jpgpost-17969-1239111950.jpgpost-17969-1239111950.jpg

iI have tried to send this picture before but was unable so here goes i am trying again, my father is third from the right back row, he was in Altdamm Camp but in this photo they seem to be in a very nice room or photo studio, would this be correct also the uniforms are different from the uniform on other photos i have of him, these appear to be black or navydid they have different uniforms to wear

Regards Madeline

This is no doubt that this is a PoW photograph.

The clues are the yellow stripe down the leg of the guy seated on the left and the red/brown armbands seen on many of the uniforms. The uniform colour is OK for PoWs and they would have received a good supply of uniforms once they got to a regular camp. The uniform type was not uniform and PoW group photographs often show a variety of different types and colour hues.

Often the back of the photograph is also a clue even if there is no writing on it which is why we usually ask to see the back of difficult photographs. Although almost invariably they have continental backs if they are PoW photographs, there are also variations to it sometimes.

Doug

• 4 months later...

My Grandfather probably knew your relatives.

He was Pte John Wallace Burdett, 81st Royal Engineers, Company F, No 95975. He was captured at Messines 10th April 1918 and was recorded at both Altdamm and Stendal camps.

By an odd coincidence my maternal Grandfather was captured 3 days later and just a few miles away at Neuve Eglise. He was Corporal Charles Pepperell 16th KRRC, Company C, No 16413 and was a POW at Gardelegen.

They both survived the war, but never met, John Burdett died in 1934 before my parents met.

Regards.

Mike Burdett

• 5 years later...
Guest RedPoppy17

Hi there - My Grandfather Ernest Locke, Royal Fusiliers, London Regiment L-8484 was captured at Mons, Belgium in 1914. He was part of the initial British Expeditionary Force into the Great War. He was captured and became a PoW in Altdamm, Germany (now known as Szczecin, Poland) from 1914 until 1918. The camp consisted of an estimated 18,500 PoW's most of which were Russians. There were an estimated 55 British PoW's in the camp. After the war ended the Prisoners were released and made their way to Denmark and subsequently caught a ship to Leith, Scotland to be repatriated in Ripon, North Yorkshire.

Here is a photograph of Altdamm PoW camp. I hope this information is of interest to you. Best regards, Maureen Lockepost-123150-0-13234400-1435625450_thumb.post-123150-0-13234400-1435625450_thumb.

• 6 years later...

Glad I found this thread.  Interesting details about the repatriation route via Denmark and Leith.  

Just discovered that my Great Uncle, Robert Henry Ellison, was a POW at Altdamm from Feb 1918 onwards.  He was captured at Epehy on 30 Nov 1917 when his unit, the 1/5th South Lancs, was effectively wiped out.  He was a sergeant in D Coy.  Altdamm was his second camp.  The first was Munster II.