Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Unknown Warrior

jay dubaya

Actually, I have attached herewith the Order of Service as published in the Times of that date and there doesn't appear to be any such statement.

post-1356-1217862898.jpg

Found it!

In the Times of 11 November 1920

post-1356-1217863622.jpg

And the names of those chosen.....

post-1356-1217863826.jpg

post-1356-1217863995.jpg

post-1356-1217864051.jpg

On an OT note, the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway also had a memorial locomotive, 'Remembrance'. Details are here. It seems that surprisingly few railway locomotive names originated in the Great War. I once had plans for a pamphlet on them, but there were too few to make anything very interesting.

Dick, off topic a bit I know, but just mentioning that the Remembrance class were rebuilt becauase their original wheel configuaration led to a serious accident, which the article does not appear to mention.

Ian

Dick, off topic a bit I know, but just mentioning that the Remembrance class were rebuilt becauase their original wheel configuaration led to a serious accident, which the article does not appear to mention.

Ian

They were somewhat modified, certainly, but I understood that they were later rebuilt as tender locos as they were made redundant by the LBSCR electrification programme.

Perhaps we ought to have a railways and WW1 thread?

Thanks to all for your contributions....what are the chances of findng the names of the pall-bearers in France, it would certainly appear one of these was Frank Sumpter. Have his memories been recorded anywhere?

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

The wonders of modern technology --

For 79p each one can download two hymn recordings made at the 11.11.1920 service from iTunes, these being 'Abide with me' and 'For those in peril on the sea'.

To locate them, just go to the iTunes store search facility and enter '11.11.1920' - one can listen to the first 30 secs of each for free.

Stephen,

any chance of you e-mailing the newspaper sections to me? Send a pm when convenient and thanks in advance.

If anybody is interested, I have a reproduced copy of the report written by the Funeral Director who dealt with the body of the unknown warrior, supplied the coffin and accompanied the coffin to Victoria Station from France.

The report was published in two parts in the NAFD Funeral Director magazine about 18 months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the reply squirrel, I'd very much like to have a read of the said report, it would be nice to have another perspective of this marked occasion.

cjk, thanks for the itune tip.

Jon

• 9 years later...