Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Canadian Mounted Rifles

under131

Can anyone give me details of the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles My step Grandfather Samuel Garland 110178 served all i know is he reached the rank of corpral and was wounded in the arm and leg

1915-1919

CAN TELL YOU ,

SAMUEL GARLAND 110178

BORN- CLLYNYDESSLYN (not sure if this is actual spelling attestation paper very difficult to read) S.WALES

25TH JULY 1893

NEXT OF KIN- MRS S.GARLAND QUEEN ST BRISTOL ENGLAND

OCCUPATION-PIPE FITTER

UNMARRIED

ENLISTED-1ST JUNE 1915,AT MONTREAL

HEIGHT 5FEET 5 INCHES

RELIGION-METHODIST.

im sure someone else will be along with more info on your man and be able to create a link to his attestation papers etc.(not very good with a pc or i would have done it myself.

good luck with your research.gary.

Page one of his attestation papers are at this link and page 2 is at this link

Information on how to obtain his full service file can be found at this link That will run you about $40 Canadian and take about 6 weeks for delivery. It will tell you where he served from beginning to end, as well as pay and medical records.

The war diary for the 5th CMR can be found at this link

HI Thank you All Got some good info special Thanks for link to Canacian records :D

• 5 years later...

HI Thank you All Got some good info special Thanks for link to Canacian records biggrin.gif

My great Grandfather was with the 5th CMR 1917-1918, I have read much of the war diaries. Take a look particularly at the october 1917 entries which includes their participation at Passchendaele. It was at Passchendaele that they were really tested and they were all heroes that day Oct. 30, in my opinion.

• 5 years later...

Looking for any information on a relative that left DuBois, Pennsylvania and joined the 5th Canadian Infantry. He served for 3 years and 8 months, seeing action at Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele.  He survived the great war and returned to Pennsylvania, planning on marriage and moving to Montreal. His name is John or Johnny Shea and was a Lieutenant. Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, Al P said:

Looking for any information on a relative that left DuBois, Pennsylvania and joined the 5th Canadian Infantry. He served for 3 years and 8 months, seeing action at Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele.  He survived the great war and returned to Pennsylvania, planning on marriage and moving to Montreal. His name is John or Johnny Shea and was a Lieutenant. Thanks in advance.

The Library and Archives of Canada have all the service records of men who served in the Great War and many are online and viewable for free. Online for Lieutenant John Edward Shea from DuBois Pennsyvania is both his original attestation document and his service record - follow this link to the relevant page at the archive and then use " Digitized service file - PDF format:"  to download his service file.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=224717

Hope that helps,

Peter

P.S. Welcome to the forum. :-) If you have any more queries it's best to start a new thread rather than attach something to a very old thread as it may easily get overlooked.

Edited by PRC
Typo