Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Czechoslovakia in WW1

elle72

Hi there,

From what I can tell prior to 1918, Czechoslovakia was part of the Bohemian Empire under Austrian-Hungarian control and was made up of the lands of Bohemia, Moravia, Lusatia, Silesia and Brandenburg.

After the war, the first Czech Republic was formed and I have read that it was the only Eastern European country under democratic rule.

What I would like to know is what part it played during WW1......as part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire was it an ally of Germany and did its citizens fight in the German army?

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Elle

Thanks for that info Chris, thats really interesting......I wonder why some of them decided to fight for the French? Or were they already in France to begin with?

Were any of them taken POW? If so, I imagine they would have received quite harsh treatment......is there any record of this occurring?

Cheers, Elle

Actually, I think the answer was mentioned in that Wikipedia article from Chris....'the Sokol movement'....I had not heard of this before but am fascinated to discover that there is a link between gymnastics and WW1....who would have thought.

Im still interested in the POW bit though if anyone has information about this.

Cheers,

Elle

Thanks for that info Chris, thats really interesting......I wonder why some of them decided to fight for the French? Or were they already in France to begin with?

Were any of them taken POW? If so, I imagine they would have received quite harsh treatment......is there any record of this occurring?

Cheers, Elle

When citizens of Alsace Lorraine managed to enlist in the French forces, I believe they were described as French in their papers to cope with that eventuality. It may be that these Czechs and Poles would be treated in the same way.

At the moment I am re-reading "The Good Soldier Svejk" so know all about the Czech army!! I think it is one of the best books on WW1. Mine is an unabridged 1980 Penguin version

Edwin

There was also a Czechoslovakian Legion that fought in Russia from 1917 to 1921, especially along the Trans-Siberian Railroad. See Edwin P. Hoyt's The Army Without a Country. Dick Flory