Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Waddington TC

tanks3

Hello,

This is one for Stebbie, please. I am researching one Lt. Waddington of the Tank Corps. He served with H Battalion. I have tried to locate his details in the London Gazette but cann't trace him. I don't have an initial, sorry but I was hoping Stebbie (or someone else who is better at crunching the Gazette than I am) could locate his commissioning details. Here's hoping anyway.

thanks

Tanks3

Do you reckon this might be him - seems to be the only Waddington with a MIC who served with the Tanks Corps and became an officer. Looks like it says he was commissioned in Tank Corps 20/12/17. First names and addresses might help you a bit too??

post-16016-1217753502.jpg

Cheers

Sue

Hello,

Still need Stebbie's help. Even with the woderful information received from Sue I cann't tie this man down in the London Gazette. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Have searched the whole of 1917 and 1918, found lots of Waddington's but not him. Need your expertise, Stebbie, please.

Tanks3

• 2 months later...

Hi Tanks 3.

I think your man was WADDINGTON,GEORGE, Pte76888. 2nd Battn Awarded M.M.

For conspicuous gallentry and devotion to duty as first driver from March 21st to September 16th.

On March 22nd near Beugny,he showed great courage and resource in restarting.under heavy fire, his tank which had stopped owing to mechanical trouble.

Again.on August 8th near Warfusee, his tank had temporarily lost direction owing to the smoke and fog.He voluntarily got out under heavy machine-gun and artillery fire, and was able to take correct compass bearings and reddirect the tank on its correct objective.It was largely due to his patient driving and great coolness throughout that his tank fought a successful action and reached its objective. This is the only fella I could find with that name hope it helps .

Regards Andy

Andy,

Don't think your man is who I am after. I am looking for an officer not a private unless you can show me your man was later commissioned into TC.

17tankman, can you give me more details on the 2 men you have? Any evidence they transferred to 9th battalion? If I could just track him in the London Gazette I might get on a bit better

Thanks

Tanks3

Tanks3,

Is your man in 8th or 9th Battalion? In your last post you say 9th, but you mention H in the first post, and H is the 8th letter of the alphabet.

Only Waddington known to me is 2/Lt J. M. Waddington of C Battalion, who was at Cambrai.

Gwyn

I am looking for an officer not a private unless you can show me your man was later commissioned into TC.

Re: George Edward Waddington

He was according to his MIC, 'Tanks Comm. 20.12.17'

Stuart

Hi Guys,

Think my man is the G E Waddington shown in the MIC posted. The Pte 2nd battalion chappie is, I think, someone else. Looking at the MIC there is no mention of the MM nor the regimental number 76888. The MIC does confirm his 14-15 star, War and Victory medal entitlement and shows his previous regimental numbers so I am convinced this is not him

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Tanks3