Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Michael FOSTER

bernadine nisbet

hello board I have posted this topic previously on the wrong board I am trying to find out if this soldier was my uncle Private T.M.Foster Reg no 3267 Liverpool Kings killed24 June 1916 My uncle was born1894 his mum and dad called Mary and Thomas they always lived in the Liverpool.1.area,he was unmarried so they would be next of kin,Is there any way I can find out for sure,I rec this info from a kind lady who has been searching for me thanks Bernadine

Bernadine

There is a Thomas MATTHEW Foster with service records on Ancestry. His service number is the same (3267) and so is the regiment (10th (Scottish) Bn The Kings (L/Pool Regt). Enlisted at Liverpool 29 August 1914 - aged 22 years and 6 months old, and residing at 244 Binns Road, Wavertree, Liverpool. In France with Expeditionary Force from 1-11-1914 until his death on 24-6-1916.Could that be him?

His effects were sent to a Robert Foster at the same address. Robert also signed for the receipt of his medals in June 1922 is this his brother? Haven't actually found a next of kin yet but it's looking like this Robert.

Ellie

Bernadine

His next of kin was his farther Robert. Mother (none) maybe be deceased.

His brother also Robert is at the same address. Aged 26.

It also shows he had 4 sisters, Jane Foster aged 36, Margaret ??? aged 35, and Catherine ??? aged 34 and Susannah Adams aged 30 (ages as given in 1920) all living in Wavertree. I cant read Margaret and Catherine's surnames.

Anyway hope the info helps to either eliminate or confirm.

Ellie

Edit:- Cannot locate the family in 1901 census at the moment , will try again later.

Bernadine

His next of kin was his farther Robert. Mother (none) maybe be deceased.

His brother also Robert is at the same address. Aged 26.

It also shows he had 4 sisters, Jane Foster aged 36, Margaret ??? aged 35, and Catherine ??? aged 34 and Susannah Adams aged 30 (ages as given in 1920) all living in Wavertree. I cant read Margaret and Catherine's surnames.

Anyway hope the info helps to either eliminate or confirm.

Ellie

Edit:- Cannot locate the family in 1901 census at the moment , will try again later.

Hello and many thanks for your help but no hes not my Thomas my Thomas was born 1898 his mother Mary father Thomas they always lived in Park Lane area once Kitchen St then Simpson St also Upper Frederick StI have no idea what reg it was but a cousin of mine said she remembers that my grandmother had a frame on her wall with 2 medals for him,There are so many Fosters in the cwgc its so sad isn't it? I would dearly love to find him but sometimes they dont put down the next of kin on cwgc,he was unmarried so parents would of been next of kin Thanks for your time I really do appreciate it Bernadine

Bernadine,

This may be a moot point, but the fact he is unmarried does not mean the NoK would have been his parents. Next of Kin details would be accepted as those given by the soldier on his enlistment/attestation papers. So whilst it's the likely answer it shouldn't be relied upon.

Also, in your OP you say he was born in 1894; in the last post 1898.

Which is the correct DoB?

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Bernadine,

This may be a moot point, but the fact he is unmarried does not mean the NoK would have been his parents. Next of Kin details would be accepted as those given by the soldier on his enlistment/attestation papers. So whilst it's the likely answer it shouldn't be relied upon.

Also, in your OP you say he was born in 1894; in the last post 1898.

Which is the correct DoB?

Kind Regards,

SMJ

I really am a novice and very sorry I have just got my papers out and yes he was born 1894 I am sorry even posted on the wrong board first time,all the folk helping me is really exciting and I didnt stop to think sorry Bernadine

You are in the right place and there is no need to apologise whatsoever.

We are all still novices, just to a different degree.

It might help if you set out everything you know for a fact. How much is from your own definite family records and how much from your friend's research etc?

Where did she get her info from?

Kind Regards,

SMJ

You are in the right place and there is no need to apologise whatsoever.

We are all still novices, just to a different degree.

It might help if you set out everything you know for a fact. How much is from your own definite family records and how much from your friend's research etc?

Where did she get her info from?

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Simon you have really given me food for thought I assumed he was single because his mother had his medals and no family was ever mentioned but I checked Lancs BMD and found a T.Foster married an Ellen Welsh 1915 in a church in his district I wonder if it was him? I am sending for the cert to check parents out and if it is him maybe that is why I hav'nt found him I thank you all Bernadine