Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WEST, SIDNEY JAMES. Stoker 1st Class, K/19572.

Neil Clark

I've woken from my 6 month slumber and feel enclined to restart my non com work. I wonder if someone can please confirm this chap isn't recorded on CWGC? -

I have his service papers etc.. and on the strength of what they contain it seems quite a strong case.

WEST, SIDNEY JAMES. Stoker 1st Class, K/19572.

Royal Navy, H.M.S. Pembroke.

Died 1919.

Born St. Mary-in-the-Marsh, New Romney, Romney Marsh, Kent 13 March 1892.

Enlisted Chatham, Kent 11 June 1913.

Son of Stephen and Ellen West.

Prior to enlisting on a twelve year engagement in the Royal Navy, Sidney had been a Cab Driver. Like countless other Royal Navy Stokers of the Great War era, Sidney contacted Pulmonary Tuberculosis, and resultant of same he was discharged from the Royal Navy on 17 October 1917. Although he died in the first quarter of 1919, well before the cut-off date for armed services deaths resulting from the Great War, on 31 August 1921.

Neil

no trace

Chris

Neil

Even if he is a cast-iron case I wish you luck. I have cases that are now four years and five months since submission and still not a peep out of MOD (Navy) despite chasing-up. I think they just don't give a damn about naval non-commemorations. However, we have to keep trying for these men.

Horatio2,

Interesting, very interesting..... I wonder if we should combine our cases to have a really BIG moan to Chris Page at Portsmouth? I will have a word with John Morecombe to see the state of play on his men...

I am still waiting for the NHB to review 2 very old refusals of mine (HOSKINS and PAGE both my Batch 1). I'm convinced both were judged harshly (unfairly) compared to soldiers. The MoD (Army) seems to have got it's finger out lately. The Navy appears not to give a toss about it's fallen sailors which is surprising to say the least. Still, that's what happens when you force work on people with no skill, training or interest in the work they are being asked to undertake. The R.N needs to pass the work over to REAL professionals with a REAL passion...

PM me if you want to cause some havoc... I'm quite happy to upset every one of em...

Neil

how about an amateur with a real passion - me :D

Chris

;) I have made a similar suggestion on many other notable occasions Chris. Just think how smooth things would progress if the MoD passed over all adjudications to the GWF!

There goes a flying pink pig....