Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Ed Wild 4th Battalion Australian Inf.

Nick Saunders

I am in the middle of researching the names of serviceman who were killed in WW1 and are commemorated on the War Memorial Cross in the town of Lymington Hampshire, in the UK.

A Serviceman who is named on the town memorial cross is Private William Ed Wild, service number 3290 who served in the 4th Battalion Australian Infantry. He was killed on 15th August 1916. He was body was never recovered.

I know he was born in Lymington,Hampshire. I would like to know if anyone has any records of this Infantry unit and what action they were in at the time.

How would I go about discovering Wild's immigration records? Is it possible to get to see Australian service records on line as in Canada?

I would be most grateful for any information that anyone can give me regarding Private Wild.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Best wishes

Nick Saunders

Dave

Many thanks. I had tried that search already and had read the links, and the online records. I just need a little bit more info. Story of every researchers life!

Thanks for your help

Nick Saunders

Hi Nick

I don't think the 4th Battalion AIF had a history written, though I may be wrong. On the date he was killed however the 4th Bn was involved in the attacks from Pozieres towards Mouquet Farm.

I'll check my copies of the 2nd & 3rd Bn histories to see if there is any mention of the 4th on this date.

Alternatively you can check Bean's history which is available through the Australian War Memorial website.

Have you ordered his service record? You can do this through

http://www.naa.gov.au

Cheers

Andrew

Nick,

Scroll backwards and forwards from this link at it will tell you what the battalion were doing.

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/ww1/3/page.asp?page=827

I can confirm that the 4th Battalion did not have a history written.

Tim D