Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt.Col B. A. G . WAtts DSO Australian Artill.

Nick Saunders

I am in the middle of researching the names of serviceman who were killed in WW1 and are commemorated on the War Memorial Cross in the town of Lymington Hampshire, in the UK.

I have found a large bronze memorial plaque in the town cemetary to a Lt.Col. Bertram Gordon Watts, DSO MID 3 times.

All I can find out about him so far is that he was in the 4th brigade, Australian Field Artillery, and that he died on 10th of April 1917. He was the son of Bertram c. and Sarah C. Watts and that he was born in Adelaide, South Australia.

I would like to find out how he died, and what is the connection with Lymington, on the south coast of England.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Best wishes

Nick Saunders

Oddly, have been doing exactly the same for the Pennington (st Mark's) Memorial this very afternoon! Small world!

Ludovica

A very small world indeed! I am please to see that the Pennington memorial has been cleaned up and is now legible.

I may have information to assist you regarding some of the names on the memorial if you would like to contact me off line.

Best wishes

Nick Saunders

Mate,

I can tell you he was an officer of the pre war Royal Australian Garrison Artillery and in 1914 was Capt.

He served in the Boer War and attended Gunnery Staff Collage in the UK.

He was prom Capt on the 1st May 1911 and was stationed at Stockton near Newcastle NSW.

He appears to have embarked to South Africa as Lt with the 5th VMR (Victorian Mounted Rifles) 22nd Jun 1901 to 6th May 1902.

That is all I have on him at the moment but the AWM site may have more?

S.B