Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Details of War Service

Guest fluffycat

Guest fluffycat

Hi everyone. I'm totally new to all this.

Am trying to find which battalions and war service records and actions for the following 2 people:

My great uncle and my grandfather.

Pte. Frederick William Branston. No. 3352 46th Company Machine Gun Corps Infantry K.I.A. 01/06/1916

Previouly 3/21244 Leicestershire Regiment. With the low MGC number would he have been one of the first to be in this new unit.

Pte. Walter Harding. No. 40469. South Staffordshire Regiment (survived the war)

Apparently they were school pals and enlisted together at either Melton Mowbray, Leicester, Loughborough or Grantham, I think around July 1915. Fred was only 16 and Walter only 17 years old.

I got this info. from the MIC's for both people, but nothing else is listed.

Can anyone kindly enlighten me?

Can anybody kindly give me more detailed info. from war diaries or other sources ?

Welcome to the forum

The Medal Index Cards are only a start; they reference to medal rolls (held at the National Archives, Kew) which often show battalion number. You have a lot of research ahead of you, have you read the reseasrching a soldier section of the Long Long Trail web site? As Frederick William Branston was Killed in Action you should use the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site for more details.

triumph

Frederick's service history will be much easier to piece together. The 46th MGC Coy was attached to the 46th Brigade of the 15th (Scottish) Division as of 11th February 1916.

As you point out by his service number he would have been transferred from the Leics Regiment in September/October 1915.

There are casualties from the 46th MGC Company very close to Frederick's number including another 1st July one (not the Somme) and these can be searched using Geoff's search engine:

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search2.php

Regards

Mel

Welcome to the forum triumph,

SDGW lists Pte. Branston as enlisting in Melton Mowbray and having DoW on that date. Have you got copies of their MICs? They may include entry dates which could lead to a battalion,

Jon

Hi Triumph,

Welcome to the forum. Fredericks Leicesters number 3/21244, would suggest the 3rd Battalion. The 3rd Battalion were the reserve and remained in the uk throughout the war.

Regards. Llew.

Just a thought and to add to Mels post the 15th (Scottish) included the 7th (Service) Bn Leicesters as divisional troops, they left the division during April 1915,

Jon

A quick search of SDGW using South Staffs and 404?? from Pte. Harding's number gives 21 results, all of which previously served with the Leicesters. Looks like they may have joined the same battalion in Melton,

Jon

Name: BRANSTON, FREDERICK WILLIAM

Initials: F W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 46th Coy.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 3352

Additional information: Son of Mary Ann Branston, of Stonesby, Melton Mowbray, and the late William Branston.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. F. 2.

Cemetery: VERMELLES BRITISH CEMETERY

Ellie

Fredericks Leicesters number 3/21244, would suggest the 3rd Battalion. The 3rd Battalion were the reserve and remained in the uk throughout the war.

I would suspect that he was posted to either the 1st or 2nd Battalion Leicesters.

Whilst 3rd Battalions remaied in the UK, they were used as feeders for the regular battalions.