Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Cateau Military Cemetery

Kathie

Eric Dold was in the 2nd Regt South AFrican Infantry and was captured by the Germans in the course of the Battle for Marrieres Woods. He was apparently wounded in the right thigh and died while a Prisoner of War on 30th March 1918.

He is buried (presumably by the Germans) at Le Cateua.

I am trying to find out about conditiioins as a prisoner of war in that or any other area - where would one have slept, what about rations, how would news be given to the UK forces that one was a prisoner and not dead and how would the funeral of a UK prisoner of war be condcuted. Any infomation would be appreciated.

Kathie

Kathie,

There is a book 'Black Bread and Barbed Wire' which may help you. I haven't got full details to hand, but if you can't trace it get back to me.

It comprises a number of accounts by POWs of their experiences as prisoners of the Germans.

Geoff

"Prisoners of the Kaiser" published 2000

By Leo Cooper, imprint of Pen & Sword Books, author R. Van Emden ISBN 0 85052 734 1

based on interviews with Veteran POWS still alive in 1999/2000. Many photos and much background. Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in WWI British POWs. Is still available (I got a copy last week via Amazon).

Thank you both of you - I will try Amazon and first our War Musuem in Jhb - I may be lucky.

Kathie