Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

davidbartlett

• 1 year later...
I have an almost complete copy of this. If anyone requires a look up, just ask.

Hello Dave

Might take you up on this at some time.

Do you have a contact address.

bobnorman@fsmail.net

Regards,

Bob

Have both :-

Mitchell, Gardiner. "Three cheers for the Derrys!" : a history of the 10th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in the 1914-18 war. Derry : YES!, 1991. ISBN: 1873832001 (pbk)

Canning, W. J. Ballyshannon, Belcoo, Bertincourt : the history of the 11th Bn. the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (Donegal and Fermanagh Volunteers) in the First World War. Dunsilly Lodge, Antrim [Northern Ireland] : W.J. Canning, 1996. ISBN: 0952848708

• 10 months later...

My Grandfather Hugh McComb was a sergeant in the 10th and was killed at Messines 7th June 1917.

Do have any other reference to him? Also I believe there is D. McComb mentioned in "Three Cheers for the Derry's" Can you confirm?

I have just discovered that he had a brother Daniel and I wonder if this is him

Thanks

Gareth

Could I trouble you for a search for Captain Frederick John Huskinson, last heard of on July 1st 1916 and listed at Thiepval. CWGC records him as being in the Inniskillings, but not which battalion. I've asked for info on the forum before, but all searches so far have drawn a blank. His records aren't at Kew, and his SDGW record wrongly records his name as Hutchinson. His medal card is little help either - a 1914/15 star but first trip abroad at the start of 1916. He was a teacher at our school until war broke out, and lost his older brother on the 'Cressey'. Even his family don't know where he died.

Thanks

Dave

• 1 month later...

I would be very interested in the diary as I'm trying to find out as much as possible about my great grandfather and his part in the war. I know he was with the 10th Inniskillings and suffered a sharpnel injury at some point during the war. He would probably signed up in Coleraine as he lived in Articlave. I have a copy of his medal index card and I have read "Three Cheers for the Derry's" and would love to find out more.

Regards,

Brian

Brian - post up his name. You never know what might come up here!

Welcome to the forum.

Des

Brian - post up his name. You never know what might come up here!

Welcome to the forum.

Des

Thanks Des,

His name was Private James Frederick (Fred) Campbell Army No. 15408. From his Medal index card I see he recieved the 1915 Star, The Victory medal and the British War Medal. The Qualifying date is listed as the 5/10/15. According to my Great Uncle, who unfornunately passed away recently,my great grandfather was injured by shrapnel and it was never removed.

I have read "Three Cheers for the Derry's" but there is no mention of him in the name list at the back of the book. Is it worth getting some research carried out at Kew or does the Somme Heritage Centre hold any info ?

Regards,

bRIAN

• 1 year later...

I too would be very interested in the diary as I'm trying to find out as much as possible about my grandfather and his part in the war. He was Private 23902 John Espey. He was wounded by machine gun fire but I don't think this happened until after the battalion was disbanded and Grandad was assigned to 1st Battalion Royal Irish Rifles as Rifleman Private 4/22752 in February 1918. He enlisted on 8/6/1915, his 16th Birthday.

Like the other commentator, I have a copy of his medal index card and I have read "Three Cheers for the Derry's" and would love to find out more.

Kind regards,

Pixie

• 2 months later...

My grandfather served in the 10th Battalion RIF D company. William McLoughlin /McLaughlin, 15871. He survived the war and lived until he was 89 years of age. I am interested in the war diaries, photo's etc;

Many thanks.

• 3 months later...

I would be interested to know if Beresford McCabe of Antrim town is mentioned in the book. We have a photo of him and a friend. As far as we know he was not killed during the War but he never returned home. No one i the family seems to know anything about him.

The member who started this thread seems to be no longer active - anyone else out there with stuff on the Derrys? Big shout to Rob Eliott for help with McCabe - I have a side interest .. can't find any man of that name to the Regt on MICs ... any helpers out there?

Des

Hi Des,

Interesting one!

Like you Des i have searched medal card index, also Ulster Covenant, Presbyterian Memorial Roll, Ancestry...no Beresford McCabe coming up [with a 1st War connection].

However did find a Beresford McCabe, with a photo.

He was aged about 12 in 1944 and belonged to McCabe the butcher's family in Antrim town and can only conclude he is either the person we are looking for or named for him.

If there is a photo of him in uniform and if it is Inniskillings could it possibly be Korean era based on his age in 1944.

Don't think Beresford was a First War man.

Lilabet, why do you think he may be 10th Inniskillings,can you post the photo.

Rob

• 1 year later...

David,

I am trying to find some info on my mates Dad. His name was William Donald, and was an R.S.M. in the 10th Inniskillings in the Great War. Can you tell me if it would be possible to get any info on him please ? Afraid I have no service number at the moment.

Appreciate any help or direction you can give.

Thanks,

Dale.

Dale,

I have a data base of the names of the men we could find connected to the 'Derrys' for a book that came out a couple of years ago.

There is no william Donald listed at all. There is a Samuel Donald from Londonderry City.

What information does your friend have to say he was in the 10th Inniskillings? Where did he come from?

I have checked the medal rolls on Ancestry Uk and could find only one William Donald, a private number 27882.

Rob