Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Clarence BRADDYLL

GraemeClarke

Hi,

Seeking any information on

Lieutenant Edward Clarence BRADDYLL

10th Battalion, Duke of Cambridge’s Own Lancers (Hodson’s Horse)

Killedin France on Sunday 5 September 1915

Buried in Grave XVII.C.17 in Harlebeke New British Cemetery

Evidently he served as an observer in 6 Squadron at the time of his death.

Once again, many thanks,

Graeme

Graeme,

Lieutenant Edward Braddyl joined Number 6 squadron (based at the time at Abeele) in July 1915, only a month before one of Number 6’s flight commanders, Captain Lanoe Hawker, had been awarded his VC. According to “The Sky Their Battlefield”, lieutenant Braddyl’s FE2a No: 4227 was shot down by anti aircraft fire whilst on an Artillery Patrol on 5th September 1915. His pilot, (flight commander) captain W C Adamson was killed. Braddyl was taken prisoner of war but died of his injuries. On the same mission they had earlier driven off 3 enemy aircraft over Mount Sorrel, south east of Zillebeke.

Regards

Steve

also look here, pic grave

Regards,

Cnock

Hi,

Cheers, thanks for that. When I posted the search facilty was not working and forgot to try afterwards.

Graeme

• 7 years later...

Hi,

Seeking any information on

Lieutenant Edward Clarence BRADDYLL

10th Battalion, Duke of Cambridges Own Lancers (Hodsons Horse)

Killedin France on Sunday 5 September 1915

Buried in Grave XVII.C.17 in Harlebeke New British Cemetery

Evidently he served as an observer in 6 Squadron at the time of his death.

Once again, many thanks,

Graeme

Graeme,

Did you do any more research on Braddyll and Adamson?

Our two families are going to Ypres together on the 100th anniversary of their death as a memorial visit and any info you may have turned up would be of interest. We now have identified the crash site as well as their airfield and graves.

Hugh Rose

Hi Hugh

Embarrassingly, I just cannot recall why I was interested in him, he does not now seem to feature in my research.

Regards,

Graeme

Hugh,

they are part of my research and I have some information (which you might already have):

From RFA transscripts: Reported missing: [4227 FE2a] brought down by AA on patrol, seen to fall in Shrewsbury Wood.

Both were buried by the Germans at Zandvoorde 5 Bezirk D Grave 416 and 154. (One of the grave numbers must be wrong)

They were later moved by the Germans to Koelenberg Forest german cemetery graves 278 and 279.

Regards,

Luc.

• 2 months later...

Luc,

Thanks for that - do you have a record of where exactly you found the (presumably RFC) records?

We had a successful family visit on the exact 100th anniversary of the deaths of Adamson and Braddyll (Adamson was my wife's grandfather.) There were 4 Adamson grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren present and 5 Braddyll family descendants came with us too which was very nice.

We started at Abeele Airfield, then went to the crash site in Shrewsbury Forest (this was also the site of their first graves which must have been recorded with the Zandvoorde reference numbers by the Germans) and then we visited their current graves at Harlebeke before attending the Last Post ceremony at Menin Gate.

We think the pond beside which they crashed and were originally buried was filled in by shellfire later in the war after their bodies had been removed to Koelenberg in 1916. The whole field is now reverting farmland to forest but we reckon we found the exact site. The graves and plane seem to be shown on the air photo taken 10 days after the crash so we could work out exactly where it should be and the soil is quite different over the pond area today.

Best wishes

Hugh

Hugh,

the RFC information comes from this site:

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/people_index.html

The Zandvoorde burial information comes from the ICRC records (PA5331)

http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/4995634/1872/5331/

And this is the list for the Koelenberg cemetery:

http://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/doc/doc2364932.JPG

Seems you had a good trip over here, do you have pictures of the crash site?

You are referring to a WW1 aerial picture of the crash location, is that online somewhere?

Regards,

Luc.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I have just discovered this thread while researching the photo below (a recent acquisition from German eBay). Amazing - I hadn't expected to find the whole story here! From other references I presume this is the original grave of the unfortunate Braddyll and Adamson at Zandvoorde.

BritFliegergrabSept1915.jpg.4d30ae8965c6b893362fe75fddd4142f.jpg

yes, this the original grave!

regards,

Cnock

• 2 months later...

Adamson and Braddyll were shot down by a flak battery of Reserve Atillery Rgt nr.54, under command of Leutnant Kiefner, who had already downed a British plane on 22 July 1915,

the battery positioned near Hooge. Kiefner stated that Adamson and Braddyll were flying very low in 'an arrogant manner' over the German positions.

regards,

cnock

ADAMSON1.jpg

Hi Nils,

I Think the Germans were jealous of the dash displayed by  the aviators.

Yes, Braddyll was in 6 Squadron and generally flew with Louis Strange. He is mentioned several times in my recent book Baptism of Fire, published by WickfordBooks.co.uk. Forgive the plug, please.:-)