Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Redford, 3rd (King's Own) Hussars.

high wood

These two photographs show a soldier called Redford who appears to be in the 3rd (King's Own) Hussars. In one photograph his long service stripes are clearly visible on his left sleeve cuff. The second photograph was taken by a Teddington photographer called W J Cornwall. One possible candidate amongst the medal index card on line is A E Redford 5926 Hussars. I have not seen the medal index card so I do not no if he served with the 3rd (King's Own) Hussars. Could someone please check the MIC and do a search for his service papers on Ancestry? Many thanks,

In the second photograph he is clearly doing his best impression of Billy Childish.

post-6480-1217085920.jpg

post-6480-1217086026.jpg

These two photographs show a soldier called Redford who appears to be in the 3rd (King's Own) Hussars. In one photograph his long service stripes are clearly visible on his left sleeve cuff. The second photograph was taken by a Teddington photographer called W J Cornwall. One possible candidate amongst the medal index card on line is A E Redford 5926 Hussars. I have not seen the medal index card so I do not no if he served with the 3rd (King's Own) Hussars. Could someone please check the MIC and do a search for his service papers on Ancestry? Many thanks,

In the second photograph he is clearly doing his best impression of Billy Childish.

The medal card reads A E Redford 7th Hussars 5926 entered theater of war 21/8/1914 cannot find service records

Many thanks for looking for me but know that I have seen the MIC I don't think that A.E Redford is our man as he is in the 7th Hussars. My man is clearly 3rd (King's Own) Hussars. There should be a second medal index card with his British War and Victory medal entitlement on it. He probably transferred to the Corps of Hussars.

I will attach a picture of the wording on the back of the photograph. Could there have been a Radford in the 3rd Hussars?

The back of the photograph. Writing like this is very common on the back of old framed photographs. Often the picture is taken to a picture framer who would write the name of the person placing the order along with the type of frame that the customer wanted. In this case, the customer, Mrs Redford requested (frame style) 851 in 1" wide oak, she then appears to have changed her mind and requested 1" new? green. It appears that the total cost was 1/3d

I have other examples in my collection where the surname and home address have been written on the back along with instructions of the, "to be collected Friday" variety.

post-6480-1217091810.jpg

I think it is highly probable it is the same man. The 3rd and 7th reservists were in the 9th RCR at Shorncliffe in 1914. The 7th Hussars, as a unit, did not gain the 1914 Star as they were in India in 1917 so he must have been attached to a different unit , most obviously the 3rd Hussars.

Also in most cases the men who served in the Hussars kept their number between units in the Great War.

Could he be:

Albert E Redford

33384 Ox & Bucks LI

45111 Corps of Hussars

MIC to BW&VM only

This new numbering for some Hussars c. 1917

Still makes the 7th Hussars MIC a very good shot.

Patrick,

thank you for your assistance. I did see Albert E Redford, 33384 Ox & Bucks LI and 45111 Corps of Hussars amongst the names on the medal index cards and wondered if this might be the 5926 A E Redford. I have not seen the actual card but if it has the BW&VM only then is a possibility.

In one of the photographs our man does seem to have had a lot of service which is why I thought that he might be a 1914 Star holder.

Simon.

Three chevrons after twelve years service (all being well) but without a date on the photo it doesn't tell us a lot.

If it is his number one option is that he enlisted c. 1905 (number broadly fits this) into the 7th Hussars (in India from 1911). Service completed 1912. Reservist 1914 attached 3rd Hussars. Alternatively he could have been on leave in England in 1914 and then attached or been at their Depot. Many options I am afraid.

Photo taken c. 1917 after 12 years or 1919 if Reservist period not counted. But I (or someone) will have to check if time in the Reserve counts towards GC Badges.

A E Redford 5926 Hussars - I guess you are not sure of that. Redford, Hussars, could be a lot of options including no medal entitlement.

Patrick,

thanks again for your input. The two photographs although undated are taken 2-4 years apart. The first photograph has been reduced in size to fit on the forum but actually shows the little boy in the second photograph as a baby. I assume that our man was on home service for long enough if you catch my drift.

In the second photograph Pte Redford is wearing collar dogs. Do you know when the regiment started wearing them? In the cavalry photographs in my collection very few soldiers are wearing collar dogs.

Simon.

post-6480-1217158155.jpg

Photo 1 c. 1917

Photo 2 c. 1920

possible

medal roll might tell you when Redford was discharged.

Collar badges were worn in the Boer war, between the wars and in the Great War. I know it appears they were often discarded but the 20th Hussars had a new issue in the field in 1917.

Just to add he could have been at home in the Depot of the 3rd Hussars or they could have had their baby in India and then returned. Long serving soldiers (usually) could have wives with them overseas.