Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Holgate.

Holgate

I wonder if someone could help me to find out why Herbert Holgate was in India before the outbreak of WW1. Uncle Herbert was in the Kings Own Lancashire reg., pte 9361. I have written to the Museum at Lancaster,

and received a nice letter from them telling me about Herbert's career. All information that I didn't know about. What I am curious about is how long Herbert was in india for , Where he was stationed in India . and why our soldiers were there. Any help would be very much appreciated. hazel.

Hazel

The 2nd Battalion was based at Calcutta in November 1912 and at Lebong and Barrackpore from March 1913 before the Battalion returned to the UK after the outbreak of war to be posted to F&F in January 1915.

It was fairly standard for the 1st and 2nd Battalions of a regiment to alternate between the UK and imperial postings.

There is an enormous amount of material on 2nd Ypres. I assume you have the CWGC details for Herbert and his MIC? - the service papers have not survived.

Regards

Mel

Hazel

The 2nd Battalion was based at Calcutta in November 1912 and at Lebong and Barrackpore from March 1913 before the Battalion returned to the UK after the outbreak of war to be posted to F&F in January 1915.

It was fairly standard for the 1st and 2nd Battalions of a regiment to alternate between the UK and imperial postings.

There is an enormous amount of material on 2nd Ypres. I assume you have the CWGC details for Herbert and his MIC? - the service papers have not survived.

Regards

Mel

Hello Mel, Thank you for the details about Herbert, Yes I have the details for CWGC. I was wondering what would have happened to his medals. Correct my if im wrong his medals would have been 1914-15 ,star, British War Medal and the Allied Victory Medal. I have the Bronze plague , I think this was given to the families of lost soldiers.

The Museum at Lancaster also sent to me a copy from the 2nd Batt., War Diary about the days leading up to the 8th of May 1915. As children we thought Herbert lost his life at France, but when I contacted Museum I found that he was lost at Frezenburg.

I get upset when I think about him but I do know what he looked like. Hazel.

Hazel

Herbert's trio, plaque and cerificate would have been sent to his next of kin (if unmarried to his parents).

I would strongly recommend your checking the local paper for any report given that he was kia fairly early on in the war - there may even be a photograph.

regards

Mel

Hazel

Herbert's trio, plaque and cerificate would have been sent to his next of kin (if unmarried to his parents).

I would strongly recommend your checking the local paper for any report given that he was kia fairly early on in the war - there may even be a photograph.

regards

Mel