Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kent Cyclist Battalion

Chris_Baker

If anyone has made any study of this regiment, or has any references from Kent newspapers, etc, I would be grateful.

An officer I am currently studying served with the Kent Cyclist Battalion from its formation in 1908.

His service record does not appear to exist, although there is one other in WO374 I shall try just in case.

He did not go overseas and has no medal documents.

He is not named in the brief war diary of the 2/1st Kent Cyclist Battalion.

The Army List and the London Gazette provide their usual info.

I have quite a bit of personal information from his birth to his death, but his period with the Battalion is pretty hazy. Any info would be most useful.

Oh, yes, his name. Hugh Wybergh Shaw.

Hello Chris

He is shown as the senior captain (wef 21.4.09) and third senior officer of the battalion in the August 1914. My guess would be that he was with, and quite possibly commanded, 3/1 Bn which, as with most TF units, was the depot and draft-supplier for the other two. It never left the UK, so had no war diary.

Very difficult to prove, but this explanation is at least consistent with all the known facts. Asyou know his age, that might tend to confirm or refute the theory.

If his service record exists, it should be in WO374 but....

Ron

If anyone has made any study of this regiment, or has any references from Kent newspapers, etc, I would be grateful.

An officer I am currently studying served with the Kent Cyclist Battalion from its formation in 1908.

His service record does not appear to exist, although there is one other in WO374 I shall try just in case.

He did not go overseas and has no medal documents.

He is not named in the brief war diary of the 2/1st Kent Cyclist Battalion.

The Army List and the London Gazette provide their usual info.

I have quite a bit of personal information from his birth to his death, but his period with the Battalion is pretty hazy. Any info would be most useful.

Oh, yes, his name. Hugh Wybergh Shaw.

The London Gazette has him seconded to the Quartering Committe 1/10/16 and restored to establishment from President Area Quartering Commitee Class GG (and a Major) 16/9/19.

Peter

Chris,

This is one part of "kentfallen" that I haven't worked on very much. It is my intention to do more detailed work in the near future. What is the name of the chap you are interested in? I have Kentish Express newspaper cuttings which relate to this unit and some mention it's officers. I must get in touch with Geoff (Search Engine) and ask him to produce another one of his excellent unit casualty reports. If I can be of help then just ask...

http://www.kentfallen.com/Kent%20Cyclists.html

http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/KE...ON%20DEATHS.pdf