Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex depot regiment

gemini69

searching for any info on the regiment, war work etc for my great grandfather - have searched ancestry and documents online but nothing has come up. Discharged march 1921 served 2 yrs 47 days so maybe he only joined up after war had ended.....how come did he not have to join up as soon as he was 18? (born in 1898) His grandaughter says he talked about "Pompey" and his daughter thought he was a field telephone operator....would like to find out what he actually may have done.

Any help greatly appreciated

louisa

Louisa,

The regimental number that you've given us is a post-1920 Middlesex Regiment number, who were given the block numbers 6188001 - 6278000. As to 'did he serve during the Great War', it's impossible to say without the necessary evidence. By rights he should have been called up in 1916 as an 18year old conscript, but not all had served overseas by the time the War came to an end.

At the same time in 1919, recruiters were trawling through the camps at home looking for young volunteers to serve in the peacetime Army and those who decided to take up this offer of enlistment became 'Regular' soldiers, being discharged from their home units and re-enlisted all on the same day.

I actually have some documents at home for a young 19year old who did exactly that and fortunately his Attestation papers survived which do mention the fact that he's serving with a Graduated Bn of the Leicesters on the day he enlists as a Regular into a Highland regiment. If I remember correctly his date of enlistment is only taken from the day he became a regular and not from being a conscript.

So it is just possible he may have served in the UK, hence no Medal Index Card before becoming a regular, but without the necessary documentation it's difficult to say.