Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German POW Made Ship and a Preston (?) POW Camp Question

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

I posted this originally in the Ships and Navies Forum, but it may be more appropriate her. Still learning my way around!

Was cleaning up and as I passed this by in the 'shop,' thought this might be of interest! I obtained this quite a few years ago and just this past year got around to restoring it. It is a model of a German Torpedo Boat made by a German prisoner in a POW Camp near Preston, Lancashire. It was missing a bunch of rigging and a couple parts that I recreated and replaced. These plus some discrete cleaning, as it had spent many years in an attic in that region, and here it is.

It is all wood, about 23"s long and the portholes are made of old boot eyelets. The base is a solid piece (not plywood) and has two big spikes coming though into the hull. I am in the process of looking for an old case, or else will make one for it. Apparently they made these and similar items for sale in the area to obtain money for use in the canteen. I have a period book on Brit POW Camps and it has several photos of the POWs and similar efforts. Has rotating tubes and armament. Perhaps it is based on the fellow's ship?

Thought you might enjoy viewing it and also, am wondering if anyone might know of the POW Camp from the Preston area.

Be glad to answer any questions.

Thanks for looking!

- Mike

A new book by Graham Mark, Prisoners of War in British Hands during WWI, lists only two major camps near Preston - at Pennington, on the south side of Leigh, and Lancaster. In July 1915 the former held 39 sailors (and 1,688 soldiers); February 1915 the inmates at the latter included 200 youths taken from fishing vessels. There were probably small work camps in the vicinity.

Moonraker

A new book by Graham Mark, Prisoners of War in British Hands during WWI, lists only two major camps near Preston - at Pennington, on the south side of Leigh, and Lancaster. In July 1915 the former held 39 sailors (and 1,688 soldiers); February 1915 the inmates at the latter included 200 youths taken from fishing vessels. There were probably small work camps in the vicinity.

Moonraker

Hello Moonraker -

And thank you very much for your research and information. It sounds as though there are a number of possibilities for the origination of this item. May (well most likely, will) never know for sure, but it is much fun investigating!

If of interest, I will 'dig out' the POW book I have and post the information on it. I believe it is dated 1916 or '17. Lots of photos. I suppose a bit of a propaganda item. :rolleyes:

- Best regards, Mike