Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

62nd Division

ddycher

All

Do we have a resident expert in the forum who can give some guidance in the 62 div activities ? I am particularly interested in the second half of 1918. Have been through the usual texts but have a host of queries if anybody has some research experience here and is happy to share.

Regards

Dave

Chris

I am trying to pull together events after the second Marne and the rebuild of the 5th Devons (specifically) and 8th West Yorks at (I think) Louvencourt.

Then after Vaulx and Havrincourt both Bn's "floated" between the 185th Bde and supporting the 186th Bde for a time and thru some refs TGW has shared we have apparent refs to the two Bn's being commanded by the same CO for a short period after the Canal du Nord.

Any recommendations on how to explore this would be appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Dave

There is reference to this period in Laurie Magnus' 'The West Riding Territorials of the Great War' (about page210 onwards)

It mentions the 5th Devons and Leeds Rifles in July, and follows the 62nd through to November though not in great detail.

It mentions praise for the 8th WY for two of their companies actions on 27th Sep at Canal du Nord. The 62nd mentions an attack at Solesmes on 19/20th October. BY the war's end the 62nd was in the valley of the Sambre. At the back 3 Lt Cols are listed )presumably Bn COs. But there is no mention of one commanding both Bns.

Have you tried the Battlaion war diaries?

Sorry it's probably not at all helpful

Jason

I assume that the usual texts must include Wyrall on the 62nd Division, and the sections of his history of the West Yorkshire Regiment in the great war. I suspect that they are probably the most detailed published sources. I have a copy of the history of the 2/6 West Yorkshires, but they were dissolved before the period of interest. I would think that for anything more detailed its kew and war diaries.

keith

All

Thanks for your suggestions. Have been through Wyralls 62nd "History" and Magnus's "Territorials". Jason my dates for wounding of Lt Col England of the 8th West Yorks comes from here. Bn level refs from Atkinson and the Bloody Eleventh have yielded little more. "Massacre on the Marne" by Fraser Skirrow was also helpful with respect to the 185th Bde. However I do agree with Keith that Wyrall's history the best so far.

The time frame of interest re. possible common CO is through November 1918. Here information seems particularly thin.

Unfortunately Ady I can not open the link you posted but will trying.

Being based in Hong Kong I dont have access to Kew and the War Diaries but if anyone does have a copy that they could check Nov. 1918 entries in I would really appreciate it.

Any more ideas ?

Regards

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

All

Following on from leads I have been given here and threads elsewhere on the forum an now looking at Bucquoy in June of 1918. This is after the major actions of March and April and during a quiet period. Does anyone have detail of actions of either the 62nd or 37th Division on this part of the front at this time. There is little in the ref's cited above.

Regards

Dave