Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Moving from Battalion to Battalion in the MGC

rhodesie

My cousin recently discovered the original of a photograph of his father which had the following written on the back of it.

Photo 1919 August aged 18 years 4 months

5th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regt. 381263

1st Battalion Machine Gun Corps 130491

55th Battalion Machine Gun Corps France

51st Battalion Machine Gun Corps Germany

2nd Battalion Machine Gun Corps Germany

29th Battalion Machine Gun Corps Germany

He is keen to understand why his father moved from battalion to battalion in the Machine Gun Corps. He (and I) would welcome any insights that members may have to offer as we're both novices in this field. The age discrepancy is accounted for by the fact that his father used his late elder brother's name.

Many thanks

dave

There isn't much to say Dave, men were transferred as and when required to wherever they were needed. His time in Germany was in the army of occupation and this force was subject to change in size and organisation over the period of its existence.

There isn't much to say Dave, men were transferred as and when required to wherever they were needed. His time in Germany was in the army of occupation and this force was subject to change in size and organisation over the period of its existence.

Thanks Tom. I'll let my cousin know.

dave

Just to amplify. The MGC was contracting and disbanding at a rapid rate in 1919-20 with demobilisation; notes not at hand, so shut down of respective battalions not at hand. But if he were a late war enlistment he would shuttle around units; I'm not surprised he moved several times.