Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish Guards records/history

Jesse

I have the first of a two volume history of the Irish guards in WW1 by Rudyard Kipling. It covers the 1st Battalion, have yet to get the second one which I assume covers 2nd batt. (ran out of money :( )

what are you after?

Arm.

I have both volumes, first and second Battalion. There is a man buried not far from here who died in the Third batt Irish Guards and he is mentioned in the Book of the second battalion so There must be only two volumes.

I am happy to look up for you.

Tom

Jesse - use the search tool on the forum and I am sure you'll come up with many little pieces of information. I find the odd piece of Guards info from time to time and will post as they come up. It all helps build the bigger picture.

Thank-you all for your replies. I am actually looking for a John Edward Alfred WHEALLER, who received a commission in September, 1918, with the Irish Guards. Demobilized as a 2nd Lieut. on 25 Dec., 1918.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest walsh2988

Jesse,

The Regimental Head Quarters of the Irish Guards at Wellington Barracks is the best place to start. They have all personel records there. The fact that you are looking for an officer should make their task easier.

Also check out the re-enactors website.

Walsh2988

His service records will be held at the National Archives in Kew, unless he continued to serve after 1921.

His medal entitlement documents are also there.

Mentions of his commission and promotions are in the London Gazette, which you can find and search on line.

Assuming he was with a battalion of the Irish Guards, their daily war diaries are at Kew too.

I think that one of the Regt History's is available to read online at a Rudyard Kipling web site, I am sure a post months ago by someone mentioned a link to the webs site?