Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richards Battery, RGA, XVII Corps June/July 1916

sjustice

Hello all,

I came across this little gem yesterday in the ORBATS and thought it was worth sharing:

"Richards Battery, RGA

XVII Corps HA (attached to 50th HAG)

This battery was formed in France on 16th June 1916 with details of 105th Siege Battery and 51st Divisional Heavy Trench Mortar Battery, and was commanded till [sic] the 10th July 1916 by Capt. D.J.R. Richards, RGA.

It consisted of 3 French 220mm Guns.

It was organized into four sub-sections on 3rd July 1916.

On the 11th July 1916, one Officer and 20 ORs joined from 60th Divnl: Ammn: Column.

There is no mention as to when it was broken up, the last entry of it being in Corps Heavy Artillery Diary of 3.9.16 which reads:-

'Richards Battery expended it's last five rounds on a German tombstone.'"

Kind Regards,

SMJ

SMJ

"" Richards Battery expended it's last five rounds on a German tombstone ""

my copy says

"" Richards Battery expended it's last five rounds on an enemy bombstore ""

Stuart

'bmac' date='Jul 24 2008, 08:15 AM' post='967605':

Sounds like a written version of the famous "Send three and sixpence we're going to a dance" story.

look - or should it be hear :D - what happens when you get 1,330 kids trying to pass a message:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/adjudi...spers_post.aspx

So which is the correct version? I'd like to think it was the bombstore, but....

NigelS

"enemy" is correct.

My transcription error at 5:30am

<_<

That is from the ORBAT though. Not looked at the Corps diary.

What a pity!

Hitting an enemy tombstone would have been damned fine shooting!

Bruce

What a pity!

Hitting an enemy tombstone would have been damned fine shooting!

Bruce

I liked my version better.

Capt. Richards can go back to sleep now; he has been consigned to the 'nicked some French guns and missed the churchyard' pile.

Shame.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

• 11 years later...

Reviving a very old post:

Anyone know what type of French 220mm Guns they would be firing ?

22cm How Mle 01     220mm       1903

22cm How Mle 16     220mm       1915

22cm Gun Mle 17     220mm        1917   Introduced 1917

I would also be interested in how 3 French 220mm Guns could be organised into four sub-sections ?

Captain Richards seems to have down well after he 'nicked some French guns and missed the churchyard' pile.. He would win the DSO, MC and be mentioned in despatches. He rose to the rank of Brigadier commanding anti-aircraft untis in WW2.

Ian

17 hours ago, ianjonesncl said:

would also be interested in how 3 French 220mm Guns could be organised into four sub-sections ?

Two possibilities spring to mind:

1. The fourth sub-section acted as a mini ammunition column;

2. One subsection at a time was rested, so that each gun could fire for longer periods - a sort of "shift system".

It is also possible that, as the manpower available to Capt Richards at the time was possibly greater than he needed to man three guns, the fourth sub-section was basically a pool of reinforcements.

Ron

Ron

Many thanks for your thoughts.

A mini ammo column would make sense as they would be using non standard ammunition as for as the RGA was concerned to may form a body of men for that purpose.

The surplus manpower is also a possibility as RGA batteries would be established for 4 guns so HQ sends 4 guns manpower. Only 3 guns arrive, form 4 sub-sections and no one is the wiser. Spare guys for the guns, a BC's dream.

Paul

I had searched NA WD but did not find anything.

Do have the reference ?

Ian

Ian

WO 95/225 Richards Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 July - Aug.  

It is listed under 50 Brigade RGA, and is the last file in the box.

Ron

Ron

Is this the one ?

Reference: WO 95/225/5
Description: Army Troops. 50 (South African) Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery

Ian

It's the right box, and I think it's the right subdivision for the brigade. Here is the full list of the box's contents:

WO 95/225 48 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1915 Aug. - 1919 Feb.  
WO 95/225 133 Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 Apr. - 1918 Feb.  
WO 95/225 81 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1915 Mar. - 1917 June  
WO 95/225 50 (South African) Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 July - 1919 Mar.  
WO 95/225 72 (South African) Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1917 Dec.  
WO 95/225 74 (South African) Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 July - 1917 Dec.  
WO 95/225 75 (South African) Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 June - 1917 Dec.  
WO 95/225 275 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1917 Dec.  
WO 95/225 Richards Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 July - Aug.  

Ron

Ron

Many thanks - very much appreciated.

I have tried various combinations on the search engine and the rest of the references outlined come up. They are shown as W0/225/1 etc.

Unfortunately, No WO 95/225/9

Ian

Having had the opportunity to review the War Diary it would seem Captain Richards took over the French Guns on the 21st June 1916, leaving 1st July 1916 to command 105 Siege Battery, another Battery with French guns.

Richards Battery RGA

After following the trail a bit further, the story of the Richards Battery appears to start with the arrival of 106 Siege Battery personnel in theatre without guns. They were trained on French 220 mm Mortars. The personnel of the battery then proceeded to La Targette 6.5 km north of Arras, taking over guns and stores in position from a French Battery, on the 9th June 1916. They would register the guns before personnel were ordered, on the 14th June, to proceed to Abeele, near Ypres. They took one of the four mortars out of action , leaving three in situ. (WD 106 SB - June 14th 1916)

It would now seem that there were three mortars that were required to be manned. On the 16th June, Captain DJR Richards formed a battery. It would later take over 3 X French 220mm' guns', at La Targette, presumably those left by 106 Siege Battery. With no establishment, it would seem Captain Richards would need to find some men to man the 220 mm Mortars. He received details from 105 Siege Battery, who would have knowledge of working on French equipment, and 51st Trench Mortar Battery, who would understand mortars.

As this was ad hoc battery with no establishment and no British Guns it would have fallen outside of the numbering system, hence it's title being taken from the Battery Commander, a practice used by the Royal Artillery before a numbering system came in.