Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ash, Basil Drummond RNAS - First Australian Aviation Casualty of WW1

spidge

Can this be confirmed as the first Australian Aviation casualty?

Cheers

Geoff

George Pinnock Merz it seems was the first Australian aviation KIA in the AFC on 30/07/1915.

Basil Drummond Ash surely was the first Australian 30/09/1914 even though he flew with the RNAS.

George Pinnock Merz it seems was the first Australian aviation KIA in the AFC on 30/07/1915.

Lt Merz and Lt Burn to be precise, being the first members of the AFC to be killed in action (which suggests that there may have been other deaths not in action [training accidents at Point Cook perhaps?]). I don't know the details of B D Ash - does casualty = killed? Was it in action?

Lt Merz and Lt Burn to be precise, being the first members of the AFC to be killed in action (which suggests that there may have been other deaths not in action [training accidents at Point Cook perhaps?]). I don't know the details of B D Ash - does casualty = killed? Was it in action?

I left Lt Burn out purposely however he was born in Australia also.

With respect to B.D. Ash: My information.

Basil Drummond Ash

Born: Southport Queenland

DOB: 16 May 1890

DOD: 30 Sept. 1914

Fate: KIA/KIFA? With Fl Lieut. Vernon in Short Seaplane Serial 77 over North Sea.

Buried: NKG named on CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

30 Sep 1914 KIA (Short 74 Seaplane No.77 w/- FltLieut H.D. Vernon); KIA lost off Kirkwall.

Basil Drummond Ash Naval General Service Medal (Persian Gulf)

Geoff

Thanks the question I have is was he really Australian? His parents don't appear to have been resident in Australia and he was educated in England. Yes I know he was born there but was his mother only visiting? I have a cousin who was born in Singapore whilst his father was posted there but no one regards him as Singaporean!

Interesting question that Centurion; I know of somebody who was born in OZ of English parents while in temporary residence there and he was considered Australian - so now I'm confused :unsure: !

Thanks the question I have is was he really Australian? His parents don't appear to have been resident in Australia and he was educated in England. Yes I know he was born there but was his mother only visiting? I have a cousin who was born in Singapore whilst his father was posted there but no one regards him as Singaporean!

My criteria for the project is those born in Australia or those of other nations birth who migrated to Australia.

Let us rephrase:

First Australian born aviator to be KIA in WW1.

Cheers

Geoff

Interesting question that Centurion; I know of somebody who was born in OZ of English parents while in temporary residence there and he was considered Australian - so now I'm confused :unsure: !

What nationality are you if you are born on a American cruise ship in he middle of the Atlantic?

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at that one Spidge!.

I've just been looking at Nationality and Nationality law on the dreaded Wikipedia - it's by no means straightforward (well it wouldn't be would it :D ); as it seems to vary from country to country and can depend on when you were born an example of this:

Between 26 January 1949 and 19 August 1986 any person born in Australia acquired Australian citizenship by birth automatically. The only exceptions concerned children born to diplomats.

From 20 August 1986 a person born in Australia only acquired Australian citizenship by birth if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Any international Lawyers on here!

NigelS

I know it's complex, my mother is entitled to Irish citizenship because of where and when she was born, although no one has been able to define precisely whether she was born in the Republic or Ulster (she was born to the sound of gunfire as there were men in the street sorting out the finer details in the traditional Irish manner) Although he has never taken this up it appears that because of this I am entitled to apply for an Irish pasport!

But does anyone know what the position is of a man born in Australia to English parents before 1949?

But does anyone know what the position is of a man born in Australia to English parents before 1949?

If Wikipedia's to be believed, and I'm reading it correctly - citizens of Australia but British subjects - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_nationality_law

I think I'll keep my head down now for fear of low flying boomerangs :ph34r: !

nigel

If Wikipedia's to be believed, and I'm reading it correctly - citizens of Australia but British subjects - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_nationality_law

I think I'll keep my head down now for fear of low flying boomerangs :ph34r: !

nigel

For my project is does not make a difference however it would be interesting to attempt to clarify the situation.