Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl J. Nash M.M. "B" Bty. 173rd Bde.

Ludovica

I wonder if some kind soul has any further details of this individual?. I tried finding him in the Gazette for the Military Medal but the site keeps crashing on me!.

Could anyone say what action he might have been involved in?

How common would it be for a soldier to be buried in his home parish so far into the war?

NASH, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "B" Bty. 173rd Bde.

Date of Death: 22/09/1917

Service No: L/28799

Awards: MM

Additional information: Son of James and Sarah Ann Nash, of 10, Woodfield Terrace, Thornwood, Epping, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: 24. 1. Cemetery: NORTH WEALD BASSETT (ST. ANDREW) CHURCHYARD

L/28799 J Nash received the MM in the London Gazette of 16 Aug 1917. Regards. Dick Flory

How common would it be for a soldier to be buried in his home parish so far into the war?

He probably died of wounds at home rather than being killed in action and his body being sent home. Check out SDGW to see if it has DoW rather than KiA in the how died field.

Do you live near North Weald?

Rgds,

Alex.

Alex is correct. SDGW, RFA/RGA (the book) indicates that he died of wounds at home. Regards. Dick Flory

Thank you again Alex and Dick. I do not live near North Weald. I am an enthusiastic genealogist, and was demonstrating my techniques to my best friend over Yahoo messenger last week when I accidentally stumbled across Cpl. Nash who unbeknownst to my friend was his grandmother's cousin. He lives in that area and was delighted to learn of a relation he never knew about. So I have reunited Cpl Nash with his family.. It feels nice to have done so :)