Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs of Officers

SteveE

Pals

Does anybody know the whereabouts of any photographs of the following 25th Bn. Royal Fusiliers Officer casualties?

Capt. Samuel Geering.

Major Roderick Beauclerk Webb.

2nd Lt. Ernest James Dutch.

2nd Lt. Arthur Henry Robinson.

Major Martin Ryan.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Just bringing this back to the top in the hope that somebody may have something.

Your Major is mentioned here as a Captain .... don't know if there would be a photo attached ... but worth a try !

Webb

Roderick Beauclerk (Capt)

Officer in the Reserve of His Majesty's Forces

Elections Tribunal

1908/v.1

121-122

http://fhr.slq.qld.gov.au/committees2/wa_we.htm

And theres an obituary here ... maybe a photo !

http://www.blacksheepindex.co.uk/GREATWAR%20Wea-Why.pdf

Did you try the Times yet ??

18 November 1917 - different units

Lieutenant Fred Ryan, Special List attached 3rd Bn Nigeria Regiment WAFF, and his brother Major Martin Ryan, 40, of the 25th Royal Fusiliers, killed in action at Nyangao, East Africa. Sons of H. V. and A. Ryan of Ootacamund, Nilgiri Hills, Madras, India, both are buried in Dar Es Salaam War Cemetery. An “In Memoriam” notice published in The Times on 17 October 1919 stated that they “were killed in action on the same day, at the same place, and near the same spot”.

You might want to try the Historian at this site ....

http://www.frontiersmenhistorian.info/fusiliers.htm

Annie :)

Annie

Many thanks for your help, it's much appreciated. I'll follow your links up to see where they take me.

Special thanks for the bit from The Times about Martin Ryan and his brother, I'd searched for him but hadn't found anything :huh: and assumed there was nothing to find.

Regards

Steve

Did you try the Times yet ??

18 November 1917 - different units

Lieutenant Fred Ryan, Special List attached 3rd Bn Nigeria Regiment WAFF, and his brother Major Martin Ryan, 40, of the 25th Royal Fusiliers, killed in action at Nyangao, East Africa. Sons of H. V. and A. Ryan of Ootacamund, Nilgiri Hills, Madras, India, both are buried in Dar Es Salaam War Cemetery. An “In Memoriam” notice published in The Times on 17 October 1919 stated that they “were killed in action on the same day, at the same place, and near the same spot”.

Annie

I've found the "In Memoriam" piece in The Times (1918 and 1920 as well, always easier when you know where to look) but am struggling with the other piece, 18 November 1917 was a Sunday, so The Times wasn't printed that day, do you have access to the Sunday Times??

I'd like to locate the piece as it may help me locate other casualties that died on the same day.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Do you hapeen to know where any of them went to school or universtiy? I have a few rolls and you never know your luck!

Hambo

Steve

Do you hapeen to know where any of them went to school or universtiy? I have a few rolls and you never know your luck!

Hambo

Hambo

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I have absolutely no idea where any of them went to school/university. Bit of a needle in a haystack job I'm afraid.

Steve

It would appear that a photo of Arthur Henry Robinson appeared in "The Sphere" 25th Aug 1917. Anybody have a copy of that publication by any chance?

Steve

I found this on the lulu site !! :) .. photo of Arthur Henry Robinson

Enjoy !

Well it won't let me upload ... so if you send me a PM with your email I'll send it to you !!

Annie

PS heres the others that are available ... just in case you need them ...

25th Battalion (Frontiersmen)

Dartnell W T Lt VC : Newspaper Photo

Forster C H Cpl : Photo

Griffiths G H W Pte 12946 : Photo

Robinson A H Captain : Photo

Selous F C Captain DSO : Photo

http://www.ww1photos.com/RoyalFusiliers2.html

Annie

Many thanks, pm sent.

Regards

Steve

I have and it's just what I wanted, many thanks once again.

As an extra, did you see my question about Martin Ryan in an earlier post (#5)? I can't find the Times entry you refer to and was hoping you could point me in the right direction. Don't want much do I ;)

Steve

I have and it's just what I wanted, many thanks once again.

As an extra, did you see my question about Martin Ryan in an earlier post (#5)? I can't find the Times entry you refer to and was hoping you could point me in the right direction. Don't want much do I ;)

Steve

Hi Steve ... it wasn't the Times ... it was the Long Long Trail ... I apologise I didn't list it as my source !

http://www.1914-1918.net/heroes/brothers2.htm

Annie :)

Annie

Thanks for the reference, found it now. I had assumed from the text that it was from The Times, couldn't find it and thought I was going mad :huh:. Still, found the 'In Memoriam' notices for three years which I hadn't found before so that all helps.

Thanks once again.

Steve

In Memory of

Second Lieutenant E J DUTCH

25th Bn., Royal Fusiliers

who died

on 06 January 1917

Remembered with honour

MOROGORO CEMETERY

Perhaps the most famous of the reserve battalions were the Frontiersmen of the 25th Battalion. This battalion was

composed of British expatriates who had lived in Africa, game hunters, explorers, and other adventurers who came to

London at the beginning of the War to volunteer for military service. In May, 1915, they sailed from London for

Mombassa in modern Kenya, and were the only British Army battalion to ever be deployed into combat without any

formal training. They spent the rest of the war campaigning in East Africa against the German colonial army of Paul Von

Lettow-Vorbeck, a German officer who commanded mixed levies of European irregular soldiers and African askari in a

guerrilla campaign of genius. Undefeated to the very end, Lettow-Vorbeck surrendered his forces after hearing by

radio that Germany had agreed to an armistice in November, 1918. By then, the battalion had been withdrawn to

London and disbanded, but the Regiment was granted four battle honours for service in Africa and one Fusilier, Private

Wilbur Dartnell, was awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry under fire in Kenya in 1915.

post-7335-1216949357.jpg

In Memory of

Second Lieutenant A H ROBINSON

25th Bn., Royal Fusiliers

who died

on 11 June 1917

Remembered with honour

DAR ES SALAAM WAR CEMETERY

post-7335-1216949624.jpg

You didn't ask for this one .... but I liked the story !! ( although not the ending !! )

Capt. George Outram of the 25th Fusiliers (Frontiersmen) was, like Dartnell, an Australian. Outram was one of the few to survive the War, but was then killed by a lion not long afterwards. It was always said that lions are the most unpredictable creature. Outram told the tale of when he and his bearer were looking for lions and found more than he expected. Hearing a growl, he saw two lions behind him within 6 yards. On the other side were two more and at the back of him another. He started up a bank to escape, but the tree root he had grasped broke away and he rolled on to a branch above the two crouching lions. Fortunately the lions only snarled and he got away unharmed. He told many such stories and yet after the war was unlucky and killed by a single lion

post-7335-1216950215.jpg

Selous's son mentioned in another thread here:

Rgds

Tim

Annie

Your continued interest in this thread is appreciated, as are the images.

Regards

Steve