Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Father and Son

kevanddawn

Hello

These are the last two soldiers left to research in my family and I'm stuck. The only records I've found are their medal cards in Kew and two bits of paper I have. Any help would be great.

Alexander Charles Skinmore

Born Hackney 1899

No Brothers or Sisters that I'm aware of

Father Alexander

Mother Emma

Pte 25121 Royal Sussex

Pte 20864 Royal West Kent

Pte 686182 22nd London

Pte 238391 13th Bn Middlesex

No date of entry to a theater of war on medal card

The bit of paper I have has the middlesex reg on it and says he was demobbed on 07/11/19 at the age of 21yrs 211days served for 2yrs 5m.

He survived the war and may have been gassed at some point as well.

Alexander Charles Skinmore

Born whitechaple1875

Married Emma Colley 1898

Brother Charles in Royal Flying Corps

Father poss Edward

Pte 16816 Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Pte 119112 Labour Corps

Date of entry into france 03/05/15

The paperwork I have is his sons Workshop Act Cert with his (Alex Snr) number on (Pte 16816) and two rubber stamp marks. One dated 08/05/15 The Regimental pay Office Dublin and the second dated 14/06/15 Infantry Records Office Dublin.

I don't know if he survived the war or not. I've searched for a grave but found nothing. I assume from the date of entry that he must have been in the 2nd Bn RDF.

Any help would be great

Many Thanks

Kevin

Kevin

The son's Labour Corps number indicates that initially, at least, he was in 199 Compay. This was a Company formed from Permanent Base men in 3rd Army area.

Ivor

Possible siblings:

From Free BMD:

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Births Sep 1899 (>99%)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skinmore Alexander Charles Hackney 1b 556

Births Dec 1901 (>99%)

Skinmore Emma Hackney 1b 542

Births Dec 1902 (>99%)

Skinmore Eliza Martha Hackney 1b 536

Births Sep 1904 (>99%)

SKINMORE Frederick James Hackney 1b 560

Births Mar 1907 (>99%)

SKINMORE Annie Rose Hackney 1b 508

Births Mar 1909 (>99%)

SKINMORE Arthur William Hackney 1b 520

Births Dec 1910 (>99%)

SKINMORE James Hackney 1b 478

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page

Births Sep 1912 (>99%)

Skinmore Ivy E Colley Hackney 1b 970

Births Mar 1914 (>99%)

SKINMORE George J Colley Hackney 1b 970

Births Jun 1915 (>99%)

Skinmore Violet Colley Hackney 1b 916

++

Have you checked for army service records?

Ian

Many thanks for the list.

Yes I've checked for service records. Online with National Archives and Ancestry, with every variation of spelling I can think of. Nothing apart from their medal cards in The National Archives.

Sorry, just woken upto the fact that I do not think Ancestry is yet upto surname initials 's' with their online service records! You will need to wait, or take a visit to Kew....

Ian

Charles Skinmore's 'Pension' record is on Ancestry, give his brother as next-of-kin with an address in Hackney if it's of any help.

Steve

Alexander Skinmore(Snr)

A couple of questions I think I know the answers to but would like your opinion.

What would be roughly his date of enlistment? Can anyone tell by his number(Pte 16816)?

If the date of entry to france was 03/05/15. Why are the date stamps on the paperwork I have Dublin stamps with dates afterward the date of entry?

If he entered France on the 03/05/15 I assume he would have been in the 2nd Bn RDF and gone into a training camp. So the first time in the frontline would probably been in the somme. Anyone know where the 2nd Bn were?

Thankyou to Ivor for the company no. for the Lab Corps. Do you think this move would have been in early 1917?

Thank you in advance. Like I said I think I know the answers to these questions but would really appreciate so help in writing his sorry.

Kevin

Thank you very much. These little bits of info really help. Do you think there is anymore we could find out from the info we have so far?