Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guards MG Regiment

Terry

I have just traded for a 1914 Star & bar trio to the 17th Lancers, and although the group won't reach me for a few days, apparently the Medal Index Card indicates that the fellow later served in the Guards Machine Gun Regiment.

I would have assumed that Guards units would have normally supplied personnel for this organization, so I am a bit puzzled how a cavalryman ended up with them. Any thoughts?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have come across members of the Life Guards who transferred to the Guards MG Regiment so why not another donkey walloper!

Vickers MGs were not only carried manually but also by horses - I posted a photograph of a Vickers MG unit some months ago showing the special harness required.

Ian

Thanks, Ian. I am looking forward to getting this group, as my original intention was to get a 14 star trio to each division, and my "Indian" groups (actually all to British units) are two to the Lahore Division and another to the Indian Ordnance Department, but nothing to the Indian Cavalry Division.

I have come across members of the Life Guards who transferred to the Guards MG Regiment so why not another donkey walloper!

Vickers MGs were not only carried manually but also by horses - I posted a photograph of a Vickers MG unit some months ago showing the special harness required.

Ian

Heres one for you Terry as an example

post-2-1077400865.jpg

The chap I used to work with, his grandfather was with 12th Lancers, the 10th or 16th Lancers (The Queens) and Life Guards and then Guards MG Regiment. His name was Albert Edward Turk.

Hi All

Of the four battalions (+ one reserve) of the Guards Machine Gun Regiment (authorised by Royal Warrant dated May 1918), the first three were actually made up of former members of the Household Cavalry. Indeed, the battalions were known as:

1st Bn. (or 1st Life Guards Bn.)

2nd Bn. (or 2nd Life Guards Bn.)

3rd Bn. (or Royal Horse Guards Bn.)

4th Bn. (or Foot Guards Bn.).

5th (Reserve) Bn.

Also, a quick glance of SDGW reveals casualties who had formerly served with other Cavalry units.

In February 1919, the first three battalions reverted to cavalry units and the 4th Bn. was merged with the 5th Bn. The Regiment was disbanded in March 1920.

Hope this helps.

Ed

The MIC confirms that my 17th Lancers soldier was attached to the 2nd Life Guards, which may explain the later move to the Guards MG Regiment. Most of the examples of cavalry troopers listed on this thread show that they were Household Cavalry as opposed to line mounted units.

• 6 years later...
Guest scouserl41

My grandfather John Garret Downing #4451 went from the 17th Lancers to the Life Guards Machine Gun Regiment. He signed on for the Lancers in 1904 for 8 and 4 then went to India until 1912. Because he was in the reserves at the outbreak of the war he was recalled but transfered to the Life Guards. His records are still intact presumably because of the Life Guard Connection. He served until 1919 before being demobbed.

Interestingly his army number changed between the Lancers and the Life Guards

Brian