Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Roll Query

Paul Reed

Below is an extract from a medal roll I looked at today. Which unit do you think he was with?

Suffolk Regiment attached 1st Cambridgeshire Regiment

or

Suffolk Regiment, serving with the Cambridgeshire Battalion of that regiment (11th Battalion)?

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

post-1-1077392018.jpg

Hi Paul,

In my (limited) experience it could be the later. Some of our OBLI men are listed as OBLI (1/1BB) i.e Bucks Battalion. If they were on attachment, it states attached

Lesley

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Paul,

For my money Suffolk Regt attached 1st Bn Cambridgeshire Regt. If it were your other option, I would have thought it would mention the 11th Bn specifically.

Others may have a different view.

Ian

Paul

How does the roll record other men who served in the 11th Battalion, does it just record 11th battalion or 11th (Cambridgeshire) battalion ?

But seeing that it records 1st Cambridgester in brackets, I would agree with Ian Suffolk Regt attached 1st Bn Cambridgeshire Regt

Annette

Hate to throw a spanner in...but perhaps an L.

Hence Suffolk Regiment (late Cambridgeshire Regiment)

Hi Blackblue

I think that can be ruled out. The rolls I have seen, which are K.S.L.I. related, record the battalion (s) in order in which a chap first served, so if it had been the case that Paul chap had served with 1st Cambs then Suffolks, it would record 1st Cambs as first entry then Suffolk unit below that. I have a few cases were it records a chap just as K.S.L.I. (no battalion recorded) plus his K.S.L.I. Regt. No. then followed below by another Regiment but no new number for that Regiment, I have always took any entry like this to mean that the chap was attached to the other Regiment, because if he had been fully transfarred to the other Regt. he would have been issued with new number and that his last Regt. which have issue his Victory/British medal.

At first I throught 1. Camb. could be a miss print of 11. Camb. but then noticed Camb. was followed by R., so that ruled out miss print.

Annette

I would go for 1 Cambridge Regt.

I think this format of recording medal entitlement is a reflection of the fact that the 'all TF' regiments were increasingly treated as part of a particular regular regiment over time.

Jock

Thanks for all your comments - most useful. I had also thought 1st Cambridgeshires, as the 11th (Cambs) Bn men were recorded on the Roll as just "11th Bn" - but it is always good to get some second opinions first.

His MIC, interestingly, makes no mention of this attachment.

• 1 month later...

As a Cambs Collector I would suggest that He enlisted into the Suffolk Regiment & was posted to the 1/1st Cambridgeshire Regiment for O/S service,Rarely do The men who served with the Suffolks & then the Cambridgeshires{& vice versa} change Numbers as the Regiments were very closely linked,The Cambridgeshires being solely a Territorial Regiment;not having a Regular"Parent"of its own,hence the number continuation

nothing to do with me guvnor, but that l is an l as in London or Langley, and not a 1. I cannot remeber my old typewriter, but surely there was provision for both l and 1?

if he had been fully transfarred to the other Regt. he would have been issued with new number and that his last Regt. which have issue his Victory/British medal.

Annette

Here I admit my ignorance, but I was always under the impression that it was the date that one qualified for the medal that determined which rank, regiment and regimental number that went on the medal.

For example: entered France 11 Aug 1914 as Pte 2RWF, subsequent transfer to Labour Corps, rose to CSM in Labour Corps by time 1914 star promulgated: medal roll RWF, medal Pte RWF, and a note of the transfer on the medal roll and on the MiC.

Have I got this right, and can the logic be applied to BWM?

1/1 Cambridgeshire Regt went to 35 brig, 12 div on 9/5/18, absorbing 11 officers and 408 men from 7 Suffolk Regt which was reduced to cadre. (British Regiments, 1914-1918, E.A.James). Any connection? Phil B.