Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte J Davidson

alexander1

Hi Everyone

I recently purchased a medal, 1914 - 15 star, on the back is inscribed Pte J Davidson 2906 Gordon Highlanders. I have checked the MID cards but i am unable to find it. As a novice am i doing something wrong?

Dargi

Hi Dargai,

You probably missed a letter or number out of your search. We all do it.

Try this link which will take you to the National Archives page for your man.

Cheers,

Nigel

Or you could try this, his MIC from Ancestry.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Nigel

post-437-1216622913.jpg

Hi Dargi,

You could look at his date of entry into theatre - 2/5/15 and plot that against battalions of the Gordons arriving in France, this would point towards a specific battalion, unless there was more than one arriving on that date. For confirmation, you could use the references on the MIC against the medals he was awarded and use them to look at the medal rolls. This would confirm for you which battalion or battalions he served with. Try asking the same question in the threads about Medal Index Cards or where you see people going to the National Archives, someone with an interest in the Gordons might offer to help.

If you PM your email address to me I'll send you a clearer version of the MIC - front and (plain) back, the one above isn't great for deciphering the medal roll references.

Once you have discovered the battalions he served with and the dates he was with each, you should refer to the Long Long Trail site to see which higher formations the battalions belonged to (Brigade, Division, Corps etc) and then you can find relevant unit or formation histories. If you also look for histories of other battalions in his division, these may well prove useful too as they often provide an insight into how other units viewed your subject battalion.

I hope this helps?

Cheers,

Nigel

His numbers belong to the 7th battalion.

http://www.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_infantry.htm

1/7th Battalion arrived in France with 51st (Highland) Division between 30th April and 3rd May 1915, so he was almost certainly in the 1/7th Battalion at the start of his overseas service.

http://www.1914-1918.net/51div.htm

Steve.

Hi everyone

I persume that all the reference numbers on the MID card repesent something, is there anyone out there who can decipher them and provide me with any further research material.

Plus why would he have two MID cards as can be seen on previous postings above.

Many Thanks Dargai