Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tyneside Irish

Mick D

this is a long shot, but does anyone have anything to confirm the identity of the following 2 brothers.

both lived in Willington Quay, North Tyneside, enlisted same place & time and crucially both died at the Somme., apparently Northumberland Fusiliers, namely Tyneside Irish.

only known details are-

J KENNEDY

R KENNEDY.

A search of the CWGC reveals only one J Kennedy that died whilst serving on the Somme in Tyneside Irish -

Pte J Kennedy North'd Fusiliers 25/1042 KIA 1/7/1916, commemorated at Thiepval.

so far so good ( I think)

I cannot however find a similar single match for R Kennedy, the nearest being -

Pte R Kennedy North'd Fusiliers 10/23378 kIA 28/4/1916, buried Bruay cemetary

he is obviously not Tyneside Irish, which leaves me stuck, does anyone have any information that would identify the missing R Kennedy ?

Mick

Sheen's text on the Tyneside Irish confirms your John Kennedy 25/1042 but has no R KENNEDY's in that unit. There is a "Hugh" and a "William" in the 24th; a "G.S." and 2 "J's" in the 26th (where my grandfather served); 3 "J's", 1 "Peter" and 2 "R's" in the 27th (27/397 & 27/398 - brothers?); and nothing in the 30th. I don't have any other Northumberland Fusilier Records.

Did you check out this R KENNEDY in the 2nd NF?

Your post caught my attention as I had a grandfather in the NF and my other Grandfather is a J KENNEDY who became a POW and the other J KENNEDY was KIA - but they were Royal Irish Rifles at the time. W KENNEDY also perished.

My Kennedy's in the Great War

Hope you get an answer - some of mine took years and answers come in almost ever month from all around the world!

Mick,

You did say long shot.

Information from SDGW.

John Kennedy 25/1043 Northumberland Fusiliers kia 1.7.1916.

Born Freshford, Blyth.

Enlisted Newcastle Upon Tyne.

R. Kennedy 10/23378 was born in Gateshead, but what about his man as the link,

Robert Kennedy 22815 L/Cpl. 9th Royal Dublin Fusiliers kia 23.5.1917.

Born Freshford, Co. Kilkenny.

Enlisted North Shields.

I was thinking about a possible typo on the Co. Kilkenny and you did say long shot.

Regards. Llew.

thanks for taking the time to reply,

This enquiry is on behalf of a colleague of mine, so all I know is what I've supplied, BUT I do know that he has family in Ireland as well as N. Tyneside, I would be fantastic if the Royal Dublin Fusilier was the missing brother, I'll ring him to ask about the Co. Kilkenny connection !

Thanks again.

Mick

Definite link (delayed reply due to the fact I couldn't access forum !!!), I've been informed that the family were from Co. Killkenny, moving over to N. Tyneside!

Absolute blinder mate, thank you.

Mick