Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Bayliss

john w.

Frederick Bayliss 2nd Northamptons 204909 was posted missing 3rd April 1918... declared dead in 1920, died between 24th May - 29th August 1918. The form suggestes that there is evidence to shwo he may have been a prisoner of war... any thoughts on where to go next?

John

I would have thought that as his name is on the Vis-En-Artois Memorial he would not have been a POW, any soldier dying in the hands of the Germans would have had a grave site I would say.One of "my" men was killed in 1914 and his death was not confirmed for three years, he was variously reported as a POW,missing and killed over this period, named on the Menin Gate. Ralph.

Name: BAYLISS, FREDERICK

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 29/08/1918

Service No: 204909

Additional information: Son of William and Sarah Bayliss, of Norsey Rd., Billericay, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 7.

Memorial: VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL

Above is what's on CWGC, but his service record shows him joining the 4th Bn, Essex Reg in 1916, transfrered to the Northants 12.8.1917. Posted missing 26.3.1918, records dated 29.4.1918 show him as a POW at what I think is LIMBURG, being captured on 26.3.1918. His belongings/medels were sent to the family on 3.6.1920, his death having occured between the dates that you stated.

All this came from his service record on Ancestry.co.uk

Hope this a help

Steve

The POW camp shown is LIMBURG, which was a Registration camp (basically a hub that sent the men to further smaller camps), so he wasn't necessarily kept at Limburg (in fact it is unlikely that he was kept there in my opinion).

He originally enlisted into in the 4th Essex (T.F.) 28-6-1916 (aged 18 years and 4 months), before being posted to the 65th Provisional Battalion (which became the 15th Battalion Essex Regiment in January 1917 - he was numbered 350394 with the 15th Essex) and going to France with a Draft for the 9th Battalion of the Essex on 16-7-1917. In France they went to the 15th Infantry Base Depot near the coast for final training before moving up to the front line. Presumably some or all of this batch was required more urgently by the Northamptons instead (the 2nd Northamptons had taken heavy casualties at Ypres on 31-7-1917) for he was transferred to the Northamptonshire Regiment on 12-8-1917. Because he was originally a Territorial he was allocated a Northamptonshire Regiment T.F. number, despite being posted to a Regular battalion.

EDIT: I see that you have probably gotten your Information from his service record.... By the way, the dates on the left of the "casualty Forms" are the dates of the Reports received, and the dates on the right are the actual dates of events.

As far as the Memorial reference is concerned, he was presumably buried by the Germans and then his grave was later lost.

Do you want some info on what the 2nd Northamptons were doing on the 26th March 1918?

Steve.

That would be great please... so was he a PoW and later died.. is that what the evidence is pointing to?

I did get his service record but struggled to read some of it, hence my vagueness

John