Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching the RFA

jjonick

Hi

I really need your help please! Whilst ok at researching named regiments, I'm a little unsure as to how to go about researching the Royal Field (and Garrison) Artillery (ie war diaries etc). I have the following men to research:

Lt. Noel Hardcastle HILLYARD, 223 Bde RFA, KIA 23/04/1917

2nd Lt. Percy James Church KING, RFA, KIA 24/10/1917, - awarded MM

Lt. William Sproston ALLEN, RFA 1st W. Riding Bde, KIA 14/03/1918

Gunner James Watson MAXWELL, 129th Heavy Battery RGA, KIA 14/09/1918

Whilst I have the usual CWGC, MIC entries, census records etc, I would like to know more about how they died and the actions that they were involved in and I'm not sure what/where to look up. Also King's MM - as I cannot find anything (may not be looking in the right place).

Any help/pointers greatly received,

Thanks

Nicky

Nicky

I'll take the easy one ;) ...

Percy James Church King's MM was listed in the London Gazette #29608, 3rd June 1916.

777 Bombr. P. J. King, 11th W. Rid. By., R.F.A. (T.F.).

Link to the Gazette is Here

He was also Mentioned In Despatches, listed in London Gazette #29422, 1st January 1916.

King, No. 777 Bombardier P., West Riding Brigade.

Link to the Gazette is Here

Regards

Steve

Hello Nicky

Those killed are much easier to trace, as the brigade and/or battery are usually known. Without these, you don't stand much chance.

223 Bde RFA was part of 63(RN) Div Artillery. Its War Diary is at Kew in file WO95/3102.

11 West Riding Bty became D(H) Bty 245 Bde, whose War Diary is in WO95/2781. It may have mention of his MM award in 1916.

1 West Riding Bde became 245 Bde, War Diary as above. It was part of 49 (W Riding) Div Artillery.

129 Heavy Bty was part of 92 Mobile Bde RGA, whose War Diary is in WO95/397, under Third Army Troops.

Ron

Thanks Steve, didn't realise that he was MID as well - really useful. If his MM is published 03/06/16, would I be right in thinking that I should look up the war diary for about the month before or was it longer than that on average?

Ron - really appreciate the run down of the brigades. Now I can start looking!! I would never have found that 129 Heavy Bty was part of 92 Mobile Bde - it makes sense now as I couldn't find any relevant dates just under the 129 entry and presumed that there mustn't have been any war diaries kept.

Thanks to you both

Nicky

Nicky

Promulgation of the MM in the London Gazette was usually between 2 and 3 months after the date of the action for which it was awarded. The MM was only instituted in March 1916 so the action should hopefully be after that, the potential problem could be that there were retrospective awards of the MM for actions prior to the medal's institution.

Steve

Hi

Lt. Noel Hardcastle HILLYARD, 223 Bde RFA, KIA 23/04/1917

Second Battle of the Scarpe - 23rd - 24th April 1917

63 Div involved with the capture of Gavrelle

2nd Lt. Percy James Church KING, RFA, KIA 24/10/1917, - awarded MM

Lt. William Sproston ALLEN, RFA 1st W. Riding Bde, KIA 14/03/1918

Gunner James Watson MAXWELL, 129th Heavy Battery RGA, KIA 14/09/1918

Born York, Enlisted Acomb, Yorks. Died of wounds not KIA according to SDGW

Nicky

A liitle bit more for you

Paul

Steve - thanks for the insight on the MM, I'll hope that it wasn't retrospective and check from March onwards I think.

Thanks Paul - looks like I'll be swotting up on the 2nd Battle of the Scarpe and the capture Gavrelle this evening (over a beer or two of course)!

Many thanks

Nicky