Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paths of Glory

PhilB

Having just watched the film, I`m left with the feeling that the French High Command had a more cavalier attitude to the lives and welfare of their troops than did the British. Is there any justification for that or is it artistic lcence?

Phil

Don't forget that it's the film of the book. As often, the book is much better. Humphrey Cobb was, I believe, an American by birth who spent most of early life living in France and Canada before settling in the USA in the early 1930s. He wrote the book shortly afterwards. His second book "None but the Brave" is set in the CEF.

A note in my edition of the book suggests Cobb drew his inspiration for Paths of Glory from a 1930s article in the New York Times about 5 French men shot for mutiny in 1915.

I think that the film takes artistic licence with the book - which is more a study of the ******* of this world than of any High Command.

John

Cobb seems to have served 3 years in the CEF in WW1. I can`t see how that would give him particular insight into French High Command although it`s possible he spent time in a French Canadian unit?

There is of course, no documentation but it is said that in the early battles, a French commander called down a bombardment to drive his men out of their trench. How much real evidence there is, I do not know. Most commanders would be too canny to leave much behind. I believe this incident is one of the inspirations for the book. In the first 3 or 4 months of the war, an action of this nature would be commensurate with the doctrine of the French army. Joffre was forced to issue warnings and remove commanders to try to curb the most profligate. The blurb on the DVD of the film says it is an indictment of military politics where men were accused of cowardice to cover up a badly planned attack. Presumably the apalling waste of men's lives in the real war was a bit too rich for Hollywood or the author.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Jul 19 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can`t see how that would give him particular insight into French High Command

I agree. There's certainly nothing in the book to suggest he has any such insight.

The mutiny of 1917 among French troops spelt out the message savagely to the High Command. The troops would defend their land but would no longer go to the slaughter at the whim of incompetents

Barely on topic. There were some ominous signs at Verdun as 1916 came to a close. Signs and placards, troops coming out jeering and cat calling troops going in. The signs were ignored or lost in the turmoil of Nivelle's appointment.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Jul 19 2008, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having just watched the film, I`m left with the feeling that the French High Command had a more cavalier attitude to the lives and welfare of their troops than did the British. Is there any justification for that or is it artistic lcence?

Phil, with respect I've seen Lord of The Rings, but it doesn't mean Hobbits exist. It's a film, not history.

Not quite the way the French, German and Spanish governments saw it though? Quote:-

"The release of the film and its showing in parts of Europe were controversial. The French authorities banned the film. They considered the film an offence to the honour of their army and prohibited its exhibition in France until 1975. As a result of this, in Germany the film was not allowed to be shown for two years after its release to avoid any strain in relations with France. The film was also officially censored in Spain by the government of Francisco Franco for its anti-military content, and was not released in that country until 1986, eleven years after Franco's death."

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Jul 19 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
censored in Spain by the government of Francisco Franco for its anti-military content,

Ah, yes. A military coup followed by a fascist dictatorship. Yep, just the sort of government that would allow a free media. As I'm sure you'll know, there was little that the junta didnt censor.