Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

152 PUNJAB REGIMENT

GRAZ

Hi

Does anybody know anything about the wartime service of the above Indian Army Regiment. Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers

Graham

Graham

Are you sure that is the correct title ? I have found nothing suggesting such a large collection of regiments from the Punjab,in fact very little over the number 20. Do you have other data which might make it easier for help to be given ? Are you researching a person,or place, or battle ,for instance ?

Sotonmate

Graham

Found quite a few refs in the various Indian Divisions of WW1. My impression is that 152 is the Battalion of the Punjabi Regiment.I have 15 or so refs up to the 92 Punjabis in the 8th Indian Division but no higher than that. This by trawling through those Divisions in the Long Long Trail from the Indian Army and a couple of Googles,but there a quite a few Indian Divisions without an order of battle.

To address this I found a book reference called " History of the Great War-Orders of Battle of Divisions: Indian Army Divisions Part 5B" by Perry F W and Becke A F. 1945.London HMSO.

ISBN 187116723.

You might get a look at it in a Library,almost certainly in Aldershot,and maybe other military towns such as York etc. You never know,someone here might have a copy. Nothing surprises me about this Forum !

Sotonmate

According to "The Bible" (A Register of titles of the units of the HEIC and Indian Armies, 1666-1947, by Chris Kempton), the 152nd were formed in 1918 from companies of the 24th, 25th, 26th and 29th Punjabis (1st/152nd), 37th, 62nd, 67th and 84th Punjabis (2nd/152nd) and 20th, 21st, 27th and 28th Punjabis (3rd/152nd). The 1st and 2nd Battalions were disbanded in 1921, the 3rd in 1922.

According to Orders of Battle, Part 2B, the 1/152nd were in 234th Bde, 75th Division in September 1918. The notes state that the Bn was formed at Amara, 24/5/18, as stated above; went to Basra 28-29/5/18; embarked 22/6/18; disembarked Suez 11/7/18; joined 234 Bde 26/7/18.

Apart from the division being involved in the Battle of Sharon under XXI Corps, 19/9/18, I know no more.

Addenda:

Technically, there wasn't a 'Punjab Regiment': they were individual regiments. The original ones were from the Bengal Establishment, although many of the very oldest had started with the Madras Presidency, transferring their recruiting areas (and titles) to the Punjab after its annexation and the Mutiny. Residents of the Punjab were sought-after as recruits rather then the reputedly less soldierly southern races. The regiments were, I believe, loosely grouped so recruits could be distributed, and (in time of war) regiments were used to feed others of similar class composition. Obviously, in 1922 the whole army was reorganised, and regiments were amalgamated into 20 infantry regiments of which the 1st, 2nd, 8th, 14th, 15th and 16th were 'Punjab'.

I worked out the 75th Division connection quite easily: it was formed in 1917 from British TF battalions arriving from India, together with Indian battalions: it was known as the "Anglo Indian" Division. Lateral thinking!

Just looked again, and I see tht Orders of Battle gives the constutuent companies as having come from the 24th, 25th, 26th and 31st (not 29th) Punjabis. This might be more likely, as the 31st were in the Euphrates area, while the 29th had been in East Africa, went to India to recuperate, and then on to Palestine; it would seem more lilely that Orders of battle is correct.

This thread Here might help. I assume it indicates 109 deaths in the 152nd (assuming the 152nd Indian Infantry and 152nd Punjabis are the same thing).

According to the 1919 Indian Army List, there were three battalions in the 152nd Punjabis.

The 153rd also had three battalions, but the 1st and 2nd were Punjabis and the 3rd were Rifles.

Michael, the Rifles soubriquet peobably refers to their constituent regiments. Out of interest, I'll check this evening.

The 3/153rd were formed from companies of the 105th, 123rd, 2/124th and 125th

The 105th were Light Infantry (Mahratta to be precise), 123rd Outram's Rifles, 124th Duchess of Connaught's Own Baluchistan Infantry, and 125ht Napier's Rifles - so that's explained then!