Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cameronians War Diary

old-ted

Hello Pals,

has anyone got access to the war diary of the Cameronians (1st Scottish Rifles) from the declaration of war to 26th August 1914 (Battle of Le Cateau). Any info would be helpful in my research.

Regards

John

Yeah,John.

PM Barrie.& if he even hints at a cash payment for sevices to be rendered...tell him Dave still has the photos B)

Nah,he will be able to help you with the Cams more than just about anyone.

Dave.

The originals will, most likely, be at Kew but the museum at Hamilton will have copies.

The originals will, most likely, be at Kew but the museum at Hamilton will have copies.

Thanks Ian,

I know that they were "lines of communications troops" in the lead up to Mons and during the retreat prior to Le Cateau so they would have been well spread out. They do not get much of a mention in the several books I've read on Mons/Le Cateau. Not surprising my man got separated.

Regards

John

Hello John.

I think Barrie Duncan would be the man to get in touch with. But! if you can't get in touch with him PM me and I will help you out, I have a copy of the diary of the 1st Cameronian SR on file somewhere on file.

Cheers Rob.

John. Cameronian Diary file for the dates asked for sent, I hope you get it (Not too swift at this PC stuff)

Cheers Rob.

Rob, & all,

a couple of interesting items in the war diary. First it states that they sailed from Southampton to Havre, I had read elswhere they arived at Rouen. On 29th Sept a note recalls " 1 stationary box in which was the proper "war diary" was thrown off the wagon (needlessly) by an excited staff officer". Would this mean that the war diary as it exists would have been re-written from officers notes etc. or would there have been a copy made as & when the original was written?

Regards

John