Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help with owner of 14th Hussars Binoculars

biffrocks

Can anyone help dating these binoculars or help to identify their owner with initials G H G and XIV Hussars. I am not sure if they are WW1 period but sure someone can tell me.

The binoculars are sold by Callaghan & Co, sole agents by appointment - 23a New Bond street, corner of Conduit street, London and this on the 1st photo.

Hussars1.jpg

Hussars3.jpg

George Hugh Gough C.B.

Born in Rathronan, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, Ireland on 25 July 1852 he was the second son of George Stephens, 2nd Viscount Gough, of Loch Certa Castle, Gort, Ireland. He was educated at Eton College and at Trinity Hall, Canterbury. From 1891 to 1896 Gough commanded the 14th (King’s) Hussars. In South Africa from 1899 he was appointed as the AAG to the Cavalry Division under Lieutenant General French. Circa October 1899 Major Hon. G H Gough vacated the position. Gough committed suicide at Norval's Pont, South Africa, on 29th March 1900.

George Hugh Gough C.B.

Born in Rathronan, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, Ireland on 25 July 1852 he was the second son of George Stephens, 2nd Viscount Gough, of Loch Certa Castle, Gort, Ireland. He was educated at Eton College and at Trinity Hall, Canterbury. From 1891 to 1896 Gough commanded the 14th (King's) Hussars. In South Africa from 1899 he was appointed as the AAG to the Cavalry Division under Lieutenant General French. Circa October 1899 Major Hon. G H Gough vacated the position. Gough committed suicide at Norval's Pont, South Africa, on 29th March 1900.

Thanks so much for the info. I can't believe I have only just found the forum. People are so generous with their time to help out a novice like myself

Rob

Rob

If you have the binoculars I wouldn't mind some decent photos of them if you can. Nice to have.

hussars [symbol for at] which.net

Rob

If you have the binoculars I wouldn't mind some decent photos of them if you can. Nice to have.

hussars [symbol for at] which.net

Hi patrick

I'll try my best, not the best with a camera. They were a great car boot find, best £4 I think I've spent. If you pm me your email address I'll send next week.

Rob

Archived