Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC 43rd sqdn 1917

Tilly

Help please!. I'm hoping i can get some last minute information - we are off to France on Sunday 20 July on holiday, i have the details of my gt uncle's grave and cemetery etc. which i'm looking forward to visiting but i've tried - with no luck to find out a bit more about his movements.

His details Arthur Lawson (from Liverpool)

No. 690066 Driver.

On the CWGC site it states - RFA, secondary reg RFC attd.43rd sqdn

Died 10 August 1917

The family always talked about him being in the RFC, not the RFA.

I will be the first member of his family to visit his grave.

He is buried at Lapugnoy Cemetery.

If anyone would like me to take any photos for them, please let me know.

Thanks

Tilly

Tilly

AMII A Lawson was flying as the observer in Sopwith 1½ Strutter A2419 from No 43 Sqn RFC, flown by 2Lt Colin Grant Meudell, from Melbourne, Australia, when both airmen were killed in a flying accident on 10 August 1917.

No 43 Sqn was based at Lozinghem aerodrome at the time.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Thanks very much for the info, fantastic to get those details so soon.

I'll try and do a little more research on the planes and area before I go.

Tilly

Tilly,

would you mind remembering my dad's cousin for me while you are at Lapugnoy?

Frederick Nutkins, Grenadier Guards, grave ref 1.B.3., d.o.w October 1915 after being wounded in the Actions of the Hohenzolleren Redoubt.

No need for a photograph as I have one.

Lapugnoy is a very peaceful cemetery in a rural setting, the site of two Casualty Clearing Stations. If you look carefully, you can still see where the railway line ran.

The road up to the cemetery is not that easy to find; look for the Calvary on the corner with the main road through the village.

Tilly,

thank you very much indeed for this - much appreciated as I won't get 'round to visiting him again until next year. Flowers placed on the graves are acceptable although an RBL wreath or one of the small memorial crosses would last longer.

Tilly,

Will have to try tomorrow eve - the site is too unstable today - alternatively email me with your email address and I will send you a copy - the photo is from a newspaper.

Promenade

Thanks very much for the photo, it's really good of you. My father has the original page from the Liverpool Echo, rather crumpled and yellow now!

Tilly

• 3 months later...
Tilly

AMII A Lawson was flying as the observer in Sopwith 1½ Strutter A2419 from No 43 Sqn RFC, flown by 2Lt Colin Grant Meudell, from Melbourne, Australia, when both airmen were killed in a flying accident on 10 August 1917.

No 43 Sqn was based at Lozinghem aerodrome at the time.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

This was quoted in the MCC members obituaries for ww1.

SECOND LIEUTENANT COLIN GRANT MEUDELL

From Princess Street, Kew. Educated at Trinity Grammar School. Member of the MCC Rifle Club.

Enlisted in 1915 in the 4th Field Artillery Brigade. Transferred to the Royal Flying Corps. He was killed

in France on August 10, 1917, when a looping aircraft crashed into his machine. He was 24.

Cheers

Geoff

Archived