Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Res Hussars

Guest Chris Capps

Guest Chris Capps

On transferring to the flying corps in 1917 my grandfathers's joining record states he was previously with '3rd Res Hussars'. I'm making progress with his RFC/RAF career etc but this is my first attempt at finding out about his previous service. Was this unit part of a larger cavalry regiment? Any help appreciated.

Chris

I suspect you Grandfather had previously served in the 2nd Reserve Cavalry Regiment prior to his transfer. These reserve regiments were formed in August 1914 to support the 1st Line cavalry regiments - one to each pair of regiments.

In early 1917, a reorganisation took place and a new 2nd Reserve Cavalry Regiment was formed at the Curragh mainly from 9th and 10th Reserve Cavalry Regiments in the 3rd Cavalry Brigade. The affiliated regiments were 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 8th Hussars, the Dorset Yeomanry, Lancashire Hussars, 1st and 3rd County of London Yeomanry, South Notts Hussars with the Oxfordshire and Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry.

Source "British Regiments 1914-1918" Brigadier AE James

Hope this helps

Terry Reeves

Guest Chris Capps

Terry

Thanks for the reply.

My grandfather's record states he was an apprentice mechanical engineer from 1911 to 1914 when, I presume, he joined up (out of interest his name was Thomas Capps & in 1914 he was 18yrs old). As the 3rd wern't formed then I believe your suspicions are correct, he must have joined 2nd Reserve Regiment first.

Thank you very much for the information Terry it has got me off to an excellant start. I'll look up the reference you gave me as well.

Best regards

Chris