Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte G Allwood Notts and Derby

Anthony Bagshaw

Does anyone have any information on Pte G Allwood of the Notts and Derby regiment?

He was KIA 29/4/17 whilst serving with the 1/5th Battalion and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

According to his MIC he had two number changes. He was originally 2908 then 20000 and finally 203268.

Unfortunately i do not have access to Soldiers Died to see if next of kin are listed or where he was from. I would love to know.

Does anyone know what the Battalion was engaged in around the time of his death?

Can anyone Help??

SDGW gives George Allwood, 2/5 Btn , enlisted Nottingham.

If he was 1/5 then he would have a 4 figure number, then renumbered to a 6 figure number in the 200000 block, and possibly renumbered for the 2/5th - just a guess. I have recently seen a medal to that name on of the auction sites?

Casualties include Herbert 9thBtn, born Calverton reside Mansfield & Louther Allwood 10thBtn, born reside Hucknall, Notts. Possibly related?

There is at least one casualty named Alwood from Belper, Derbys.

SDGW does not give nok information.

Hope thats of use.

Stuart

Thanks for looking for me Stuart.

I know he went to france 28/2/1915 as i have a copy of the MIC.

CWGC states he died as a Lance Corporal but MIC shows he was not promoted from Private. Is it normal for this to happen?

Hi Anthony

Lance Corporal was an appointment and not a rank so his mic will only show his rank as Private. However, CWGC and indeed the War Diaries for Notts & Derby (if he is mentioned) will show him as Lance Corporal.

Steve

I have come across this a number of times. Sometimes they were acting up and others the promotion hadn't been confirmed. The only way to tell is to check and see if his service record survived.

A move between 'lines' of the same TF battalion would not have involved a renumbering. The block of numbers allocated to a unit was used for all parts of the unit - 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines, the depot, men on TF Reserve, men temporarily disembodied and men temporarily attached to other units and corps.

Jock

Thanks for your help everybody! Much appreciated :D

Weren't all TF battalions renumbered from 4 figures to six in early 1916?