Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stanley C M Page On 4 Memorials in Clun

NeilEvans

On 4 Memorials in Clun, Shropshire, A Stanley Page is remembered.

One of the memorials tells us he is, Stanley C M Page, KSLI, Died In France, 15/07/1915.

I've found a Stanley C M Page, birth registered 1898 in Rhayader Wales, not too far from Clun

There is a MIC for a Lt. Stanley Clarence Martel Page RFA on Ancestry. He entered France 31/03/1917! 2 years after the death of 'Stanley Page'!. However could this date of entry be the date of entry as an officer, I.E served prior to a commision in France as an O/R?

I can't find him on the London Gazette, could some body check the overseas deaths?

Neil

Looks like this chap survived - a note on his MIC indicates he wrote to the War Office in 1922 with a query regarding the medals.

Jimmy

Indeed thats what i thought.

The question is now, was this chap formally KSLI?, if so why the 'eck is he on the memorials.

OR

Is there another Stanley C M Page.

Also, in the London Gazette, issue 31880, dated 27th April 1920 he is reported as resigning his commission in the Royal Field Artillery on 17th March 1920.

Jimmy

AH fantastic. Wonder the local popualtion thought he'd died, when he hadn't

Thanks Jimmy

Name: Stanley Chaplan Morris

Year of Registration: 1890

Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar

District: Clun

County: Montgomeryshire, Shropshire

Volume: 6a

Page: 569 (click to see others on pag

Name: Mary J Page

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870

Relation: Wife

Spouse's Name: George

Where born: Cumbran Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales

Civil Parish: Clun

Ecclesiastical parish: Clun St George

Town: Bicton

County/Island: Shropshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Clun

Sub registration district: Clun

ED, institution, or vessel: 2

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 49

Household Members: Name Age

Emily S Page 1

George Page 47

Mary J Page 31

Stanley Page 11

View

Original

Record

View original image

Pick the bones out of that.

Mick

No probs, I like a challenge

Mick

go on then....

Ok Clun again.

Not much to go on:

Alick or Alec Linden Died November 1918 in France.

Neil

can't see any at the moment, where abouts is he commemorated/

Sorry I meant is that the only place.....i have checked all of the Alick's and Alec's in Shropshire, there are a few but only one Alec from Clun who i can't find as a casualty

Mick

Hi Mick.

I can't find him on any other local memorials.

Guess were stumped on that one

I have tried all combinations. Possibly one of those that joined under his mothers maiden name or maybe something completely different. My grandfather used his mothers maiden name when he joined the army. Family story was that he had fallen out with his father....i have recently discovered his birth certificate, great grandad and greatmother weren't married.

mick

My research indicates that Lt Page did not serve overseas prior to being commissioned. Below is what I have found on him. Regards, Dick Flory

Lieut. Stanley Clarence Martel Page, RFA

Page was born at Landrindod Wells on 3 March 1898, the son of Sophia Page of Chenies, Cheyney Lane, Eastcote. Before the war he was an articled clerk to F. J. Maw of 12 Norfolk Street, Strand W.C. and was studying law at the Lower School of John Lyon in Harrow. He enlisted in the Artist Rifles’ (Regimental Number 8005) on 13 June 1916 and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery, Special Reserve on 11 February 1917.

Page went to France on 31 March 1917 and was a student at the 1st Army Artillery School until 5 May 1917 he then was posted ‘B’ Battery, 331st Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. On 25 May 1917 he reported sick with scabies and was admitted to No. 7 Station Hospital, Boulogne. On 2 July 1917 he embarked at Boulogne, arriving at Folkestone the next day and was admitted to the 25th General Hospital.

He returned to France on 21 September 1917 and on 23 September 1917 he was assigned to the 66th Divisional Artillery. On 23 September 1917 he was posted to ‘B’ Battery, 330th Brigade, R. F. A. From 3 February to 11 February 1918 he was a student at the 2nd Anzac Gas School and on 16 February 1918 was posted to the 66th Divisional Ammunition Column, R. F. A. On 16 February 1918 he was attached to “Y”/66 Trench Mortar Battery, but was admitted to the 10th Stationary Hospital with scabies on 20 February 1918.

After treatment he was attended the 2nd Army Trench Mortar School until 23 February 1918 when he was again admitted to the 10th Stationary Hospital with scabies. Page was released from the hospital on 1 March 1918 and was posted to No. 2 Section, 66th Division Ammunition Column on 9 March 1918. He was posted to ‘X’/66 Trench Mortar Battery on 19 March 1918 and to ‘B’ Battery, 331st Brigade, R. F. A. on 13 April 1918.

On 25 April 1918 he was admitted sick to the 109th Field Ambulance and to the 25th General Hospital with influenza on 4 May 1918. He rejoined ‘B’ Battery, 331st Brigade, R. F. A. on 8 June 1918 and was promoted to Lieutenant, R.F.A. S.R. on 11 August 1918. On 26 August 1918 he was slightly gassed and was treated at the 140th Field Ambulance. He rejoined his unit on 6 September 1918 and was posted to No. 3 Section, 66th Divisional Ammunition Column on 20 September 1918. On 20 January1919 he embarked for the United Kingdom via Dunkirk and the next day was disembodied from the Special Reserve of Officers as a Lieutenant. On 19 October 1920 he passed the final examination of The Law Society.

Sources:

Army Lists

London Gazette

Medal Index Card

Officer’s Papers (WO339/78357)

Artists Rifles Regimental Roll of Honour and War Record, 1914-1919

Record of Solicitors and Articled Clerks, 1914-1919

66th (East Lancashire) Division Dinner Club