Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IFCP Part 2

chrisharley9

Izzy

thanks very much to you for your help with Liverpool; also to CGM for her help with London

Chris

Guest KevinEndon

This is brilliant Chris. Can you tell us what you are doing to find them, are you going through all the names on Brookwood 14-18 or just those who have been found on the IFTC project. If you could let us know how you get to find a grave from start to finish I am sure all would be interested. Which council's have been a great help and which have been a pain in the rear, you never know there may be a councillor from a pain in the rear area who uses the forum and can pull some strings.

Kevin

Time to divulge my dark arts then

Im systematically going through the whole of the Brookwood 1914-18 names. First of all I contact the burial authority at the NOK address; if no success there the I check with the burial authority of the place where the individual died then any other relevant place that may crop from their serivce records. I request the location of the grave along with any details of if the grave is marked by a headstone.

A number of recent IFCP cases Terry Denham has asked me to check for a grave location which I have managed to find so there has been no need for the name to go on Brookwood.

Council co-operation has been very varied.

One Council wanted to charge me £61 a name to search; I complained & they waived their charges.

Many others have helped to an enormous extent; Joanne Hadfield at Dover has been absolute diamond turning around my queries in 24 hours. Ben Coulin at Hull has cooperated to such an extent that Im now finding the graves of men commemorated on Tower Hill. Irene Brady at Dundee sends me the transcriptions from the headstones.

Then there are those who will not do any research without money upfront despite me complaining & then there are the local authorities who simply do not respond to my enquiries (Northern Ireland hang your heads in shame).

Im really going to have to do a review of my activites in the New Year to see how I can do things better.

Lets see if I can make 200 in the New Year

• 1 month later...

136 graves now found

• 1 month later...

Have not updated this for a while as things have slowed down a lot; anyway the total stands at 138 graves found

• 4 weeks later...

Total of 143 graves now found with 12 of these being accepted by CWGC

At present there are 478 entries for this memorial.

55 died in circumstances where a grave is unlikely to be found.

By my reckoning 292 still to be found

• 1 month later...

We now stand at a total of 149 graves found

• 2 weeks later...

152 graves now found

Great achievement, Chris - congratulations. Presumably all the graves you have found are private ones, and I imagine some of them are not in the best of condition. When CWGC accepts that you have found someone's grave, do they inspect it, and, if so, has this led to any graves being marked with a supplementary CWGC headstone?

Yes CWGC do inspect. In many of the cases the lads have been buried in unmarked graves so in the fulness of time they will receive a CWGC headstone.

If the grave marker is not up to CWGC standards then they will also receive a CWGC headstone.

If the private headstone is suitable commemoration then it remains as it is

Chris

• 2 years later...

Thanks to NigelS, who provided a link to the list of Jewish Burial Grounds, I believe Solomon Bird is buried in Plashet.

Chris, I will PM you the details.

CGM

BIRD, SOLOMON

Rank:PrivateService No:780104Date of Death:09/06/1917Age:19Regiment/Service:Royal Fusiliers 29th Bn. Grave ReferenceP. 1. 37.CemeteryPLASHET JEWISH CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Nephew of Rose Nicholls, of Stoke Newington.

Commemoration Moved From Brookwood 1914-18 Memorial

• 2 years later...