Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th hussars and 72nd Field Coy Royal Engineers

harrison919

Hi to all on the forum. This is my first post and only recently discovered this wonderful source of information after discovering that i had relatives that fought and died in the Great War.

researching my family history i came across an old photo that my nan knew nothing about. it was a picture of her dad and now i am trying to find out some information on his life as a soldier.

he was L/Cpl james S ARMSTRONG 22124. the photo had on the back that he was in the 11th Cavalry Reserve at Tidworth in Wiltshire. i've located his medal card and it tells me that he served witht he 18th hussars and also the Corps of Hussars in France. i was wondering if there was any information on what these regiments did during the war. Any help in getting me started would be most appreciated.

also i am after information on the 72nd field Coy of the Royal Engineers. My great great uncle Sapper Henry ORD 43201 was killed whilst serving with them in Modern Day Iraq 02/04/1916. Again any information on what this unit was doing in and around the 2nd of April 1916 would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks in advance