Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Battalion Sherwood Foresters

Hi, wonder if anyone can help, have an ancestor Thomas Morgan reg. no 18136 in the 11th service Battalion Sherwood Foresters, he enlisted 27/10/1914, posted to France 27/8/1915, posted home 6/11/1916, transferred to class P 24/4/1917, discharged no longer physically fit on the 15/10 1917. Would like to know what he was doing in that time, believe he might have fought on the first day of the Somme also family rumour is that he was gassed, is that likely, any ideas as to when he might have been wounded/gassed to have been posted home in November. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Hello, Steve.

Welcome to the forum.

I assume that you have picked up these details off Ancestry where he has two collections of documents - a 6 page set and a 2 page set. I think you probably haven't seen the extra "hidden" pages to the left of the first page in the "2 page set" which give a little more detail to his pension claim. He was admitted to hospital at Bristol on 6-11-1916 with "PUO" - Pyrexia of Unknown Origin - his papers state that he was evacuated on 5-10-1916 at Armientieres suffering from heart problems.

These "hidden" pages are indexed 68583 to 68593.

Steve.

Steve

11 SF were part of 70 Brigade,which shipped out to Boulogne as part of 23 Division in Aug 1915. On October 18th 70 Bde transferred into 8 Division for the Battle of Loos,returning to 23 Div on 17 July 1916. I have gleaned this from the Long Long Trail at top left of this page.

From a book on the Somme I am reading the first mention of action after returning to 23 Div was at Martinpuich at the end of September in prep for the Battle of Thiepval in early October,and then later in the same area,but a little more easterly, for the Battle of the Transloy Ridges from 7-20 October.

I would hazard a guess that he was wounded in this last event,as it may tie in with the date of his being returned to the UK on 6 Nov.

Sotonmate

Thanks for that Steve, yes I had found the 6 page and 2 page records of Thomas Morgan but certainly didn't know about the hidden pages, really pleased with that. Steve

Steve

11 SF were part of 70 Brigade,which shipped out to Boulogne as part of 23 Division in Aug 1915. On October 18th 70 Bde transferred into 8 Division for the Battle of Loos,returning to 23 Div on 17 July 1916. I have gleaned this from the Long Long Trail at top left of this page.

From a book on the Somme I am reading the first mention of action after returning to 23 Div was at Martinpuich at the end of September in prep for the Battle of Thiepval in early October,and then later in the same area,but a little more easterly, for the Battle of the Transloy Ridges from 7-20 October.

I would hazard a guess that he was wounded in this last event,as it may tie in with the date of his being returned to the UK on 6 Nov.

Sotonmate

Thank you for the information, didn't think I'd get so much back in such a short time, really appreciated.

Steve

Steve

You probably need to contact Forum member "Greenwoodman" who probably knows as much about the 11th Sherwoods as the rest of us put together. He keeps telling me he has a copy of every publication written about them - except some obscure one that's in a library in, I think, Canada.

John

Thanks John, I have sent a private post to Greenwoodman, hope to hear from him, but I'm pleased with the information I've been getting back from other members.

Steve