Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant-General Shute

BeppoSapone

Reading up on the "Inky Bill" Williams question I had a look at the "Generals Nicknames" site cited: http://www.firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk/nicknames/shute.htm

I note No.23: 'Tiger' Shute

Lieutenant-General Sir Cameron Deane Shute (1866-1936) commanded 59th Brigade, 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, 32nd Division and V Corps on the Western Front. His nickname is a classic pun - ‘Tiger shoot’, geddit? His nickname therefore owed everything to his surname, but it also suited his character. He was an exceptionally aggressive commander, a renowned front-line general, an extremely demanding superior and something of a martinet

Surely he had another nickname, and even a little poem? :D

Surely he had another nickname, and even a little poem?

Yeah, and I think you know it!!! ;)

Strange how a great war nick-name can linger on though. When I was at school the assistant-head shared Shute's name and also his "nom-de-guerre"!

Dave :)

Strange how a great war nick-name can linger on though. When I was at school the assistant-head shared Shute's name and also his "nom-de-guerre"!

Tiger?

Tiger?

Erm. No! (I didn't go to public school!!! :D )

Dave. :D

armourersergeant

Ever since i learnt of this man I have been intrigued by him and his reputation , yet I have found it hard to get anything on him in 'general' cicles. Anyone with info regarding him please post.

Arm.

Jonathan Saunders

Arm,

Shute was an extremely brave man by all acoounts and wanted to lead from the Front. Very commendable. Unfortunately I understand his time with the RND did not please the officers and men of those Battalions as he tried to destroy their unique identity. This could not have been a PR or morale winner and I think it a great shame this casts a shadow over his memory.

Jon

Arm,

Len Sellers "The Hood Battalion" throws some light on Shutes time with the RND. He was not liked initially because he was an army man with army views and hence slightly out of place in a unit with naval ranks. Once they settles down he did come to be appreciated.

As to his nickname (no not tiger but s**t) and the poem by A P Herbert. There was some debate over sanitary standards at the time he took command and the way in which the RND disposed of human waste was thought questionable. I will say no more other than "read the book".