Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorials to the "Missing"

CROONAERT

Just a query that someone asked me during my research into an Indian casualty (see my "INDIAN ARMY 1914" post in the units and formations section).

I know that the memorials are to those with no known grave (not necessarily just those who were posted as "missing"),but do they also contain the names of those who weren't buried,such as those who were cremated (as was the way with some Indian troops).

This question excludes the Naval Memorials,whose names are of those who died and/or were "buried"at sea.

My belief is that the memorials DO list the names of cremated etc. soldiers. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave

There are memorials to those who were cremated, either for religious reasons or through preference of the n-o-k.

They are usually separate to the main memorials to the missing. The cremated casualties were not 'missing' as such but as a result of their cremation have no grave.

An example of these Cremation Memorials is the Haida Pasha Cremation Memorial but there are several others (from WW2 also). I can post a list if you are interested.

Certain British casualties who died in the UK were also cremated although this practice was not greatly used during WW1 and these are commemorated by plaques or screen walls bearing their names with the crematoria grounds. Indian soldiers who were cremated in UK are remembered on the Hollybrook Memorial at Southampton along with names of soldiers lost at sea. The practice of cremation for non-religious reasons was far more usual during WW2.

Where the name is on one of these cremation memorials or crematorium memorial, the CWGC regard this as their burial place just as with memorials to the missing. However, if it is known that the casualty's ashes were taken and buried elsewhere, then the place of their burial is counted as the location for records purposes.

There are a number of Indian WW1 cremations interred at Epsom Cemetery where they are recorded by number on a memorial with a small numbered plate in a lawn near the memorial covering the remains. Unfortunately they are now over grown and difficult to find.

There are four Indians buried in Epsom with 176 British & Canadian troops. The register entries for these men do not mention cremation and the introduction says that they are actual burials.

Their names are on a screen wall along with 145 British & Canadian names but all these casualties are buried in the War Plot in Section K. As a matter of interest the bronze panels on the wall were paid for by a fund held by the Horton (County of London) War Hospital. It is sad to hear from Ian that the site is now overgrown.

When Indian soldiers (Sikhs and Hindus) were cremated, I believe their religion required their ashes to be scattered on water rather than buried. The main (only?) WW1 cremation site for Indians in UK was on Patcham Down near Brighton, Sussex. The ashes of those cremated here were scattered at sea. There is now a memorial Chattri over the site (maintained by Brighton & Hove Council) and the names are on Hollybrook.

Terry,

Yes, the plaques at Epsom were certainly overgrown and buried in Autumn 2002 . I made some representations about this to the CWGC who I think have a contract with the cemetery for maintenance so when I next visit perhaps there will be some improvement. If not, its out with the trowel !

Ian

It would certainly be the normal practic for CWGC to have an agreement with the cemetery owner (The local authority in this case?). Unfortunately, the agreements for maintenance are not always complied with to complete satisfaction. However, the CWGC area inspector should take the owners to task over this - that's his job!

IT's good that you consider helping to rectify the situation yourself but it is annoying when someone else is paid to do it.

They are usually separate to the main memorials to the missing. The cremated casualties were not 'missing' as such but as a result of their cremation have no grave.

Just to add to my previous query (thanks for the answers,by the way).

Apart from the WW2 cremations, are there any cremations on the Neuve-Chapelle Memorial, or is it purely to the "missing"?

Thanks,

Dave.

The Neuve Chapelle Memorial does include names of cremated Indian soldiers as well as the truely missing. The Menin Gate also has some cremations.

Presumably, because of their size, it was decided to amalgamate missing and cremated names on the Western Front memorials. The practice of having separate cremation memorials was probably more prevalent in WW2 and away from the Western Front in WW1.