Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colonel to Subaltern on Suvla beach

michaeldr

A lovely tale from my reading of The Naval Review, Vol. VI, page13, The Work of a Trawler in the Aegean Sea

to be seen here

and thoroughly recommended

"A young Army second lieutenant; got charge of four trawlers with ammunition and responsible for the party; he is, absolutely lost; good thing there are two old ex-sergeants to put the men right. This second lieutenant orders Lieutenant Gowthorpe to take his luggage to A Beach, time we are waiting half an hour steaming. I informed my lieutenant not to take notice of any orders, unless from naval beach master. Who should come alongside but the colonel with the wooden leg. Dear old British officer, in full charge of the ammunition at the landings. This second lieutenant reported my lieutenant for not taking his luggage. Laugh, we nearly all bursted at this flop. Colonel told him :

"Young man, you are on a battlefield now. Take that window out of your eye" (his eye-glass, he meant) "and do for yourself. No servants now, carry your own luggage where you want it."

Colonel says they are meeting with opposition; boiling hot day, but doing well. Some of our slackers at home ought to be ashamed. Here is a retired colonel, lost a limb in South African War, and already has given two sons in France, both killed. Makes one proud to think there is a British gentleman hopping about in boats and on a battle front, doing more work than a dozen of some of them, and bustling the men about. How the Colonel used to climb up that long rope ladder on the Minatonka puzzled many; must have had a splendid artificial limb. Good luck to him. Gave him a cup of tea. He says the Wimborne's tea winds him up for another few hours, and is coming again later on for the second drop."

We will save the blushes of the monocled subaltern, but

Can anyone identify the one-legged Colonel?

regards

Michael

Michael,

Would I be near the mark in suggesting the Colonel was probably ex-Indian Army, may elp with the search to dientify him,

cheers,

Chris H

Chris,

Thanks for your interest in this

Sorry I cannot comment of your idea, which may well be sound - I just don't know

what I have at present is as follows

looking at the Orders as reproduced in the second volume of Ian Hamilton's memoirs 'Gallipoli Diary' (see here http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22021/22021-h/22021-h.htm)

It seems that the author was most likely on one of the trawlers covered by

Instructions for G.O.C. 9th Army Corps,

(Signed) W. P. Braithwaite,

Major-General, C.G.S., Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, 29th July, 1915.

"Also 4,000,000 rds. S.A.A. Reserve Gun Ammunition (by special trawlers from Mudros) 7 days' supplies for the above troops and animals."

Regarding whom he might have met on the beach, only one colonel is named; Western who was the Principal Military Landing Officer

see FORCE ORDER No. 25.

General Headquarters,

2nd August, 1915.

Appendix to Force Order No. 25.

Beach Control Personnel.

4. The following naval and military beach control personnel have been appointed for the landing places of the 9th Corps:—

Principal Beach Master: Captain H. F. G. Talbot, R.N.

Beach Masters: Commander I. W. Gibson, M.V.O. ("A" Beach), Captain C. P. Metcalfe, R.N. ("B" Beach), Commander C. Tindal-Carril-Worsley ("C" Beach).

Assistant Beach Masters and Beach Lieutenants: Four Lieutenant Commanders, ten Lieutenants, R.N.

Principal Mil. L.O.: Colonel W. G. B. Western, C.B.

Mil. L.O.'s: Major F. W. Pencock, Derbyshire Yeomanry, Major Sir R. Baker, Dorset Yeomanry, Captain Tylsen Wright, A.S.C.

Assistant Mil. L.O.'s: Captain Wade Palmer, Derbyshire Yeomanry, Captain B. A. Smith, South Notts Hussars, Lieutenant H. V. Browne, Dorset Yeomanry, Lieutenant Krabbe, Berks Yeomanry.

The allocation of the above military officers to the various landing places will be detailed by the P.M.L.O. in consultation with the P.B.M.

Special instructions with regard to beach fatigue parties have already been issued to the G.O.C. 9th Corps."

However I have no information regarding Western in the Boer War, the loss of a limb, or the loss of two of his sons

It also possible that the officer in question was not named in this order, but simply covered by the later para

"Ammunition.

7. The G.O.C. 9th Corps will depute an officer to arrange, in consultation with the P.M.L.O., for the storing of reserve ammunition in convenient localities near the beach. Guards for these stores may be found from the beach fatigue parties."

The Petty Officer's recollections have proved quite reliable elsewhere and it would be nice to put a name into this story.

best regards

Michael

quote: However I have no information regarding Western in the Boer War, the loss of a limb, or the loss of two of his sons

There are web refs for the following which seem to add to the suggestion that it may have been Col. Western

mentioned LORD ROBERTS Despatch September 4, 19O1.

Royal West Kent Regiment- Major W G B Western,

mentioned LORD KITCHENER'S FINAL DESPATCH June 23, 1902.

Royal West Kent Regiment-Lieutenant Colonel W G B Western

also found in The Story of the Malakand Field Force An Episode of Frontier War

by Winston S. Churchill

Wounded slightly--Major W.G.B. Western, Royal West Kent.

Supposing that it was Col. Western, then looking at the LG

he was Mentioned in Despatches by Ian Hamilton and by Gen. E. H. H. Allenby

going on to be Maj.-Gen. Sir W. G. B. Western, K.C.M.G., C.B.,

who retired on ret. pay 29th May 1920.

Many thanks Hywyn; there's a lot of detail there

Yes, I've checked through the CWGC listings without finding any refs to sons who were casualties

thanks again

Michael

• 3 years later...

I've been looking again at this old question and checking some of the officers who may have been involved with the ammunition on the beaches at Suvla, and who may (remotely) have given rise to the character described by the Petty Officer quoted in post No.1

The best that I have been able to come up with so far is Major A. A. Corder, D.A.D.O.S., 11th Division, who (per Operation Order No.1, signed Br-General H L Reed, 1100 hrs 3rd August 1915) "will be in charge of the Reserve Ammunition, IX Corps, and will arrange, in conjunction with the P.M.L.O., for the sorting of this reserve of ammunition in convenient localities near the beach.”

Major Corder had earlier service at the time of the South African war, and he had previously lost a son on the Western Front.

THE LONDON GAZETTE, MAY 15, 1900. 3073

RESERVE OF OFFICERS.

To be Captains. Dated 16th May, 1900 : —

Captain and Honorary Major Arthur Annerley

Corder, late the Duke of Edinburgh's Own

Edinburgh Artillery.

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 9 APRIL, 1915. 3453

MEMORANDA.

The undermentioned are granted temporary

rank as stated: As Major

A. A. Corder, late Major, The Royal Warwickshire

Regiment. Dated 9th September,

this, I believe, is his son

CORDER, HUGH GERALD ANNERLEY

Initials: H G A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Welsh Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 09/05/1915

Additional information: Son of Major A. Annerley Corder, of Glendoone, Havant, Hants.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panels 23 and 24.

Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

For more details on the life, service and death of Lieut. Corder, please see

The LG also gives the following

5560 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1916

Chancery of the Order of

Saint Michael and Saint George.

Downing Street, 3rd June, 1916.

The KING has been graciously pleased to

give directions for the following appointments

to the Most Distinguished Order of Saint

Michael and Saint George, for services rendered

in connection with Military Operations

in the Field:

To be Additional Members of the Third Glass,

or Companions, of the said Most Distinguished

Order:—

Capt. and Hon. Maj. (temp. Maj.) Arthur

Annerley Corder, late Maj., Res. of Off.

attd. A.O.D.

Is any more known about this officer?

Two more snippets

From http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I225254&tree=Nixon

BORN: 22 November 1856

EDUCATION: Proprietary and King Edward Schools, Birmingham.

MILITARY: Captain, the Duke of Edinburgh's Own Edinburgh Artillery (Militia), 1886; Major, 1895; attached to Army Ordinance Department, 1900; Reserve of Officers, 1901; Major, 1914; Lieutenant-Colonel, 1916.

MILITARY: Battles and Wars, Served in the Gallipoli Campaign, 1915, and in Egypt, 1916.

HONORS: Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George.

From SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 1 JANUARY, 1919

CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS

OF KNIGHTHOOD.

St. James's Palace, S.W.,

1st January, 1919.

The KING has been graciously pleased to

give orders for the following appointments to

the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

for valuable services rendered in connection

with military operations in Egypt: —

To be Officers of the Military Division of

the said Most Excellent Order:—

T./Major (T./Lt.-Col.) Arthur Annerley Corder, C.M.G., R.A.O.C.

This from a Dix Noonan medal cataogue:-

"William George Balfour Western was born on 2 May 1861 and educated at Victoria College, Jersey and at Sandhurst. He entered the 50th Regiment in 1879. He served with the 1st Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment in the Nile Expedition, 1884-85; Malakand and Buner campaigns, 1897-98, where he was wounded by a gun shot near Inayat Kili on 30 September 1897 and was mentioned in Sir Bindon Blood’s despatch. In the South African War he commanded the 2nd Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment until April, 1901, when he assumed command of a mobile column which he held until the end of hostilities. He was twice mentioned in despatches and created C.B. During the Great War he served in Gallipoli from July 1915 to January 1916; Greek Macedonia, Serbia, Bulgaria, European Turkey and the Islands of the Aegean Sea from January to March 1916; Italy from November 1917 to April 1918; Egyptian Expeditionary Force from April to October 1918. He was wounded, mentioned in despatches six times, promoted Major-General and created K.C.M.G. Major-General Western died on 10 January 1936. With some copied research."

At least, it puts him in the right place at the right time! Perhaps rather than a wooden leg (which presumably wouldn`t be visible) he had a stiff leg?

Phil,

Thanks for that extra information on Western

Of the two, Western and Corder, I am presently inclined to say that Corder is probably the character about whom the PO was writing.

He got the rank wrong for that particular time (though Corder may have been given a local rank of Colonel) but apart from that, the “British officer, in full charge of the ammunition at the landings” fits, as does the loss of a son earlier on the Western Front. If we could confirm a gammy leg, then that would just about settle it.

Thanks again for your interest here

Michael

The NA holds four cards in respect of Col. Corder, detailing

Corder Arthur Annerley CMG., OBE., 1914-15 Star, Victory, British War, + emblems

HQ 11 Div Major

HQ Lieut Col

Theatre of War & Qualifying date: Balkan, Gallipoli & Islands of Aegean Sea; 9-7-15

MiD London Gazette 13-7-16 (page 6952) Gen Monro's despatch refers

MiD London Gazette 1-12-16 (page 11802) Gen Murray's despatch refers

MiD London Gazette 16-1-18 (page 930) Gen Allenby's despatch refers

Edited by michaeldr