Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance Corporal Charles James Penn

bushpig3

Hi All

I am researching all the deceased soldiers from the Great War who came from the Mackay District in Queensland, Australia.

Hopefully the lucky last one I am after more information on is

Lance Corporal Charles James PENN

Service No: 6695

Unit at Death: 1st Battalion, Queen's Own ( Royal West Kent Regiment)

Date of Death: 8 March 1915

Buried: Tuileries British Cemetery

He is listed on the Mackay Cenotaph..

http://www.mackayhistory.org/research/war_...y_cenotaph.html

I am trying to obtain biographical details as well as details of his unit and where his unit was at time of death or battle his unit was involved in at the time

Obviously all i can obtain is his CWGC records and as he enlisted in the B.E.F. I cant obtain any info from the AWM

Any information on this man would be greatfully received.

Glen Hall

Research Officer

Mackay Historical Society and Museum Inc.

Po Box 1349, MACKAY QLD 4740. phone (H) 49 592 572

mobile 0427 559 020

email: bushpig3@bigpond.com

our website: http://www.mackayhistory.org

Soldiers Died Great War lists:- PENN CHARLES JAMES BORN BROMLEY ENLISTED STRATFORD.LONDON.E KILLED IN ACTION with the prefix L before his number. Ralph.

Born approx 1886 one of nine children lived 15 Lee Street Limehouse Stepney London in 1901 employed as a wood cutter. From Ancestry.co Ralph.

Enlisted in the RWK probably at the end of October 1902. He was one of the 18 Imperial Reservists who returned to the RWK from Australia.

1st RWK had been transferred temporarily with the rest of 13 and 15 Bde under 28th Div control. They were holding trenches in the Ypres Salient in the Zwarteleen sector on a two day rotation cycle.

Best regards,

Matthew

rjaydee said:
Soldiers Died Great War lists:- PENN CHARLES JAMES BORN BROMLEY ENLISTED STRATFORD.LONDON.E KILLED IN ACTION with the prefix L before his number. Ralph.

Thanks Ralph for that......

Waht did the Prefix "L" actually mean?

cheers

Glen

Enlisted in the RWK probably at the end of October 1902. He was one of the 18 Imperial Reservists who returned to the RWK from Australia.

1st RWK had been transferred temporarily with the rest of 13 and 15 Bde under 28th Div control. They were holding trenches in the Ypres Salient in the Zwarteleen sector on a two day rotation cycle.

Best regards,

Matthew

Thanks for the information Matthew

cheers

Glen

Glenn, I have seen various prefixes on soldiers numbers but I am afraid I do not know why this man has that particular one. Regards Ralph

Glen,

L prefix is the prefix for a regular in the Home Counties regiments, Royal Sussex, West Kent etc.

Best regards,

Matthew

Archived